How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
UMTRI’s cybersecurity team is seeking an experienced security expert with cybersecurity expertise to work on sponsored projects, lead project tasks, support student projects, and support the creation of project proposals. Potential projects include the design of processes and guidelines to develop secure vehicles as well as the design and evaluation of new innovative security solutions. The Automotive Cybersecurity Expert is a key member of the cybersecurity team and this role requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The senior level job responsibilities include:
- Design and specify automotive cybersecurity guidelines
- Design and specify automotive security solutions
- Design and specify automotive test and evaluation mechanisms
- Perform risk assessment of vehicle systems and components
- Identify risks and find mitigation mechanisms of a vehicle system
- Literature research of relevant aspects, analyze the literature, and identify relevant aspects
- Design interview questions, interview subject matter experts, and evaluate interview results
- Specify, design and implement C/C++/Java code
- Support student projects by providing advice and by providing software modules and hardware setups
- Document project results and support the preparation of deliverables
The lead level job responsibilities include all of the above plus the following:
- Lead projects, design a success path, coordinate with colleagues and/or students, and plan resources
- Interact with sponsors and colleagues
- Support the creation of technical project proposals
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- A broad level of cybersecurity, secure development, and risk assessment expertise
- Experience with computer, and network security
- Expertise with embedded systems
- Knowledge of software development
- Lead level: more than 5 years professional experience in automotive electronics
- Senior level: at least 3-5 years professional experience in automotive electronics
- A Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Knowledge of automotive electronics and CAN
- Experience in an academic environment, and a track record of academic publications
This position may be underfilled at a senior level depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
About Cybersecurity at UMTRI:
The Transportation Research Institute at the University of Michigan is committed to interdisciplinary research that will ultimately increase driving safety and further transportation systems knowledge. UMTRI is a leader for connected vehicle, automated car technology, and automotive cybersecurity. UMTRI runs an automotive cybersecurity test lab, designs automotive security solutions, and performs security research for connected vehicles and automated cars. UMTRI performs security research for industry and government sponsors.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.