Nurse Practitioner (NP) manager for the inpatient areas of CVC and UH. Has nursing oversight of Nurse Practitioners inclusive of clinical practice, staff development, quality and performance improvement, competency, and evaluation. The manager is a clinical leader and provider with exceptional communication and management skills who is committed to the delivery of the highest level of patient centered care. This individual will represent the interests of CVC and UH and advice on NP practice. This may include operational and tactical planning, contributing to strategic plans, assessing related processes, implementing methods to promote and improve the quality of patient care and other duties as assigned.
This position is designed as follows:
Administrative/ Manager role:
.5 FTE (20 hours/week)
Clinical Nurse Practitioner role:
(Minimally 8 hours/ week - up to 20 hours/week); to be negotiated upon hire
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
1. Develop and monitor staff compliance with education and training requirements.
2. Review and assess clinical needs and, as required, proposes restructuring or creation of clinical services in both the planning and budgeting processes.
3. Review productivity data and billing activity of NPs for the purposes of compliance, distribution of effort and in comparison to budgeted activity.
4. Ensure NPs function in accordance with federal and state regulatory standards and institutional policies and procedures.
5. Ensure appropriate goal alignment of NPs within the team, service and department.
6. Facilitate open channels of communication with members of the section/department faculty and administration by acting as a liaison among staff.
7. Review the administrative and operational activities of the section/department NPs related to productivity, quality assurance and regulatory compliance.
8. Support the recruiting, interview, selection and orientation process for section/department NP positions.
9. Develop/revise job descriptions for NPs within the section/department.
10. Conduct performance evaluation of NPs, coach and mentor NPs with respect to opportunities for performance and professional growth. This includes distribution and collection of 360 degree feedback from faculty & NPs ongoing professional evaluation or focused professional evaluation.
11. Provide nursing oversight for credentialing and privileging process including selection of privileges appropriate to role and competency assessment including logging of minimum procedures required for NP privileges.
12. Collaborate with supervising physician(s) regarding performance issues as may apply to the NP or team.
13. Conduct review of Section/department operational and process issues as the impact/affect NPs.
14. Assist in the development of section/department policies and procedures for NPs.
15. Plan and direct educational activities for NPs within the section/department.
16. Facilitate and conduct planning, coordinating and evaluating section/department quality assurance and patient safety activities as they relate to NPs.
17. Meet regularly with Section/department administration to determine the need for any position or department-specific or competency-based education or assessment of NPs, in addition to the required UMHS annual mandatories. If specific needs are determined, work with section/department administration to define and implement.
18. Participate in and encourage research and other professional activities among NPs to promote continued learning and professional growth.
19. Encourage communication and collaboration between RNs and NPs in local work areas.
20. Identify opportunities and facilitate NP student experiences within section/department.
The NP Manager will have a primary reporting relationship to the Director of Advance Practice Nursing and a relationship with the Chief Nursing Officer of CVC/UH
Nursing supervision is exercised over NPs in the inpatient area of CVC/UH including the NP leads.
The Nurse Practitioner Manager will work collaboratively with other nurse managers, and Advanced Practice Providers (APP) unit/department managers and leads and the CVC/UH NP Manager.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.