How to Apply
The University of Michigan School of Information announces a two-year postdoctoral research fellowship position. The position will start September 1, 2017, or as soon as feasible by mutual agreement.
In addition to applying here online by uploading *only* your resume, please follow these instructions below:
Candidates should submit the following materials electronically to Professor Daniel Romero. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org one PDF file which includes:
- A statement of interest describing your relevant background and skills.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Two publications or other writing samples.
- The name and contact information for three references. One reference should be your doctoral advisor.
Please request that two reference letters be emailed to Professor Romero.
Start date for this position is flexible.
The research fellow will help Professor Romero lead one or more of his current projects on examining the effects of a variety of exogenous and endogenous shocks on social networks, social media, and collaborative volunteering systems. Additionally, the fellow will have the opportunity to work in collaboration with Dr. Romero on other projects of their choice. The main role of the fellow involves planning and conducting research and co-authoring papers with Professor Romero, graduate students, and possibly other faculty members. If interested, the fellow will have the opportunity to participate in writing grant proposals. The research fellow will be treated as a colleague, mentored, and launched off to the next career stage.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A Ph.D. in Computer Science, Information, Mathematics, Physics, or a related area completed by the position start date.
- A strong background and experience with statistics, network science, machine learning and/or data mining.
- Programming experience and comfort with handling and analyzing large data sets.
- Ability to independently plan and conduct research projects and write up results.
- Motivation and initiative, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently as well as in a team.
Salary range: $55,000 - $65,000 per year, plus a competitive benefits package and the opportunity to appoint and supervise one or more paid undergraduate or master’s research assistants to work on projects of your choice. Pay will be commensurate with experience.
The postdoctoral fellow will have office space at the University of Michigan and will be expected to contribute to the intellectual life of the School of Information. There are no teaching obligations for this position, though opportunities to teach a course through a separate position might be negotiated if desired.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.