How to Apply
Letter of Interest/CV
Please include your CV and a letter of interest that answers the following questions:
(i) Why is this position appealing to you?
(ii) How is this position relevant to the things that are most important to you in your life?
(iii) How have you expressed your passion for computational biology and sequencing data in the past?
Wanted: Computational Biology Research Assistant Interested in Swimming in Next Gen Sequencing Data for Noninvasive Cancer Detection and Biomarker Discovery
• Do you love working with next generation sequencing data?
• Are you comfortable managing large amounts of data and metadata?
• Are you organized and detail-oriented?
• Do you love high-performance computing?
• Are you interested in being part of a team that is developing new ways to monitor human health and disease?
If so, you may be a great fit as our Research Computer Specialist position. The Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology/Oncology seeks a bioinformaticist to participate in a cutting-edge research program seeking to use deep sequencing of cell-free RNA and DNA present in biofluids to discovery and translate this new class of biomarkers for cancer detection and monitoring. The environment is fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and team-based. You will work closely with postdocs, research staff, and the PI in a collaborative approach to making scientific discoveries and translating them toward clinical application.
Perform independent analyses of sequencing data from RNAseq and DNA sequencing experiments. Evaluate and prepare data sources for particular research questions. Provide routine summaries and updates of ongoing studies. Collaborate with wet lab and computational scientists in the laboratory and in collaborating laboratories.
Develop the analytical and statistical approaches for particular research questions. Determine the statistical tests to be used. Carry out analyses and evaluate results. Devise tests and processes to evaluate the validity of data and analysis results. Work with other staff and faculty members to evaluate and interpret research findings.
Use next gen sequencing tools for data analysis, and reporting. Write programs that allow for complex combination of data from multiple sources, as needed for the research. Prepare documentation of code used in the research as well as organizing and documenting primary and analyzed data and research results. Prepare automated data queries and summary figures.
Participate in meetings and conference calls with research sponsors and partners to define research questions and deliverables, to present results, and to determine next steps.
Participate in research manuscript development and writing. Opportunities for research presentations at conferences and workshops, if desired. Participate in project report drafting and completion. Prepare reports specified as deliverables for contracts. Participate in preparing grant proposals.
• Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or a highly related field
• A minimum of one year of research experience
• Proficiency in at least one programming language (Python or Perl preferred)
• Experience with Linux OS and high-performance computing environments
• Familiarity with next-generation sequencing data analysis (small RNAseq preferred)
• Proven data storage and management skills
• Experience with nucleic acid analysis methods and technologies
• Exceptional organizational skills, including detailed record-keeping
• Ability to work independently (on data analysis) and as part of a team
• Ability to communicate effectively, particularly with colleagues without a strong computational background
• Adaptability and resourcefulness
• Experience with custom pipeline setup
• Background in RNA
• Statistical coursework
• Experience with database set-up for storing, managing, and retrieving data (MySQL, etc.)
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.