The Surgical Technologist Specialist in the Orthopedic Sport Service at East Ann Arbor Surgery Center provides support to the surgeon and other surgical team members by performing direct and indirect tasks which facilitate and contribute to quality care, efficient throughput and a satisfactory experience for patients undergoing orthopedic procedures in the East Ann Arbor OR. Additionally, the candidate will assist with inventory, preparation of instruments, prepare and select equipment for procedures, provide expert scrub knowledge and other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate resources and equipment necessary for scheduled OR cases
- Generate weekly communications with a detailed plan for each scheduled case for the week.
- Anticipate needs to optimize throughput and ensure patient safety.
- Updates and maintains sports med surgeons Physicians Preference Cards.
- Review scheduled cases, communicate with physicians regarding needs and planning
- Support OR cases on the day of surgery
- Provide support to the circulator as a technical expert.
- Provide support to the surgical technologist.
- Prepare OR with specialty instruments, by finding required instruments.
- Assist and educate as a technical expert for all med sport related surgical intervention, including instrumentation, equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrate appropriate infection control and universal precautions to include the proper set up of tables and instrumentation.
- Collaborate with the surgical team to maintain the sterile field, including opening of all sterile supplies needed for cases.
- Participate with medical staff and nursing to position patients to prevent injury and optimize surgical outcomes.
- Excellence in overall team-based patient care and service
- Accepts accountability for own actions, is self-directed and shows initiative.
- Maintains a positive and collaborative approach with surgeons, staff and patients.
- Take responsibility for a quality care experience for patients and creatively contribute to improving the processes involved.
- Serve and participate in department staff meetings as directed.
- Actively create educational and training opportunities to continually update personal and EAA OR staff knowledge.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintains neat, well labeled, organized sport med supply/instrument areas
- Satisfactory completion of an equivalent Surgical Technology training program.
- Highly motivated and organized.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication as well as interpersonal/team skills.
- Current Orthopedic Sports experience as a Surgical Technologist.
- Currently Senior Level Scrub Tech.
- Ability to scrub and have expertise in all variations of orthopedic cases.
- Functions under the direct personal supervision of nursing or attending surgeon.
- Certification preferred
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.