Under limited supervision, the tutors will use intermediate skills obtained through experience and training to tutor in core academic subjects (math specifically) to groups or individuals requiring additional instruction to meet individual needs. Tutors will work with youth at Osborn and Cody high schools in Detroit, as well as out of school youth at various community locations. The tutors will train with the Office of Metropolitan Impact (OMI) and report to the Assistant Director, while receiving some tutoring assignments from OMI's Youth Program Coordinator. Tutors will meet regularly with students who require academic improvement in order to pursue admission to college.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist with homework. Explain concepts in a manner that students understand.
· Observe and provide feedback on students work and behavior.
· Motivate and support student through positive feedback and reinforcement.
· Supervise and monitor students.
· Mentor students through daily interaction.
· Communicate with parents as applicable.
· Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Proficiency in Mathematics is required
· Academic subjects English and Mathematics as required based on assigned program.
· Appropriate and effective learning techniques and concepts for learners of different age levels.
· Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications, including Microsoft Office.
· Interact effectively and appropriately with students of all ages.
· Incite enthusiasm and influence, motivate and persuade others to achieve desired outcomes.
· Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Provide a high level of customer service.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.