The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is seeking a Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician to work at the Orthotics and Prosthetics Center.
- Independently fabricate Orthotic and Prosthetic devices according to clinical work order. Deliver a professionally fabricated device to provide the patient optimal fit, function, cosmesis and workmanship. Follow procedures of fabrication as dictated by Lean Thinking guidelines.
- Fabricating orthoses to support the orthotist in providing care to patients with congenital and/or traumatic disabling conditions of the musculoskeletal structure of the body.
- Fabricating prostheses to support the prosthetist in providing care to patients with partial or total absence of a limb.
- Perform repairs and maintenance of orthotic and prosthetic devices, and provides on-call & walk-in coverage as needed.
- Assist in training and orienting fellow orthotic and/or prosthetic technicians, O&P residents, students and volunteers.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by Orthotic and Prosthetic Fabrication Laboratory Manager and O&P Clinical and Technical Director.
- Individual must be available to work M-F, 8:00am to 5:00pm, as well as an occasional weekend on-call rotation.
- Ability to efficiently meet deadlines while maintaining quality in a fast paced environment
- Must have excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
- Self-starter with the ability to train, motivate and educate staff
- Creative craftsman with proven problem solving skills
- At minimum, board-eligible Orthotic and Prosthetic technician based on training or years of experience, is preferred.
- Certified by the American Board for Certification as an Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician (CTPO), preferred.
- Minimum five years as an ABC Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician
- Current with certification and new fabricating techniques
- Skilled in the use of all fabrication lab tools and equipment
- Knowledgeable of material properties pertinent to O&P
- Must be able to multi-task in a dynamic fabrication lab
Industrial Hwy, Ann Arbor.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
- Certified Orthotic Technicians and Certified Prosthetic Technicians are encouraged to apply however will be required to pursue CTPO certification.
- All non-certified applicants are encouraged to apply however will be required to pursue CTPO certification.
- Relocation expenses potentially covered dependent on current location.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.