How to Apply
Please provide a cover letter and resume. The cover letter should outline:
- Your skills and experiences that directly relate to the position responsibilities, and
- The specific reasons for your interest in the position
- Work closely with our senior audit managers, others on the internal audit team, and client personnel to establish audit approaches and audit programs that address the highest risks given the available time
- Conduct appropriate audit testing, identify exceptions and opportunities for improvement, conclude on results, and document work
- Provide periodic verbal and written communications to audit clients (and higher level management, as appropriate) concerning status, findings, and other relevant issues associated with each audit
- Work closely with client personnel to obtain agreement on audit findings, identify root causes, and establish pragmatic and sustainable recommendations for improvement
- Convey best practices and opportunities for increased efficiencies, where applicable
- Draft audit reports, including obtaining management’s commitment for corrective actions
- Schedule and facilitate formal opening and closing meetings for each audit
- Develop positive working relationships to foster an environment of open communications where the Office of University Audits is viewed as a partner and trusted advisor
- Work both independently and as a member of a team
- Assist with special investigations, departmental initiatives, and other special projects, as requested
Diversity, equity and inclusion are critical to the research, teaching and service missions of the university. University Audits is committed to supporting university efforts to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Bachelor's degree, ideally in accounting, finance, business, or related field
- Relevant professional experience in auditing and/or higher education operations
- Solid organizational, time management and leadership skills, including the ability to successfully work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as an individual contributor or team member in a diverse work group and the wider university community
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal, presentation, and organizational skills
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- This position requires commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of higher education operations, university systems and data (MPathways, MReports, Business Objects), and other compliance/regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of auditing principles and techniques
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or other relevant professional certification (e.g., CISA, CFE)
- MBA or Master's degree
- Experience with data analytic software such as ACL
The position may be filled at an auditor level.
The Office of University Audits consists of 20-member team who provide high-quality assurance, management advisory, and other value-added services designed to assess and improve risk management, internal controls, compliance and governance processes across the University of Michigan. We value respect, integrity, innovation, and professionalism, and operate in accordance with the IIA International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and Code of Ethics. Please see www.umich.edu/~uaudits/ for additional information.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.