How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Partner with Finance leaders and Human Resources Business Partners to meet the challenges of staffing a complex, changing environment with highly qualified finance professionals.
Work with the CFO and Associate CFOs to set the strategic direction of Finance recruitment, retention, training, and development, as well as align with the overall guiding principles of the UMHS finance community.
Work with UMHS Human Resources Business Partners and the Human Resources Strategy Team to assist with initiatives related to Finance Talent and Training.
This position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and indirectly to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Talent and Training Programs Development and Operation – 60%
- Identify talent management and training opportunities that improve finance services delivery throughout the organization, through data analysis and soliciting feedback from finance staff and business operation leaders, both centrally and in departments.
- Engage with finance staff, human resources, leadership and department stakeholders to collaboratively design novel approaches to workforce-related challenges and opportunities
- Participate in new program assessment, development, implementation, monitoring and sustaining
- Work with teams to implement programs and solutions throughout UMHS
- Actively align new programs, improvements and/or technologies with the finance strategic plan and core mission of the finance department
- Responsible for directing organizational and cultural change, consistent with the values and objectives of the Health System
- Communicate with stakeholders about new programs, trainings and offerings of the Finance Talent and Training Manager
Workforce Planning – 35%
- Collect, track, monitor and understand data on attrition rates within Finance on an ongoing basis
- Identify root causes to attrition events
- Act as a consultant and partner to hiring managers providing guidance consistent with UMHS recruitment/human resources policies and procedures and state and federal employment law
- Develop robust recruitment strategies to offset succession and attrition and meet the evolving needs of the organization
- Identify and align internal career development opportunities with qualified internal applicants Partner with hiring managers and HR Business Partners to identify talent for at-risk departments and mission critical positions
- Analyze and report metrics related to staffing and workforce diversity goals, and develop action plans based upon findings
- Partner with hiring managers to recruit, screen, interview and refer applicants, as needed.
- Responsible for tracking and reporting of metrics related to hiring and retention goals established for the finance department
- Participate in and evaluate on-going finance workforce retention efforts
Recruiting - 5-10%
- Analyze workforce and applicant sourcing trends
- Stay abreast of finance and healthcare industry best practices in talent acquisition
- Recommend process improvements and implement new technologies to support continuous improvement of talent acquisition practices
- Collaborate with UMHS leadership and other key stakeholders to develop talent acquisition strategies which support a strong employer brand, for local and national job markets.
- Proactively identify and implement social media and community relations talent acquisition solutions which meet business objectives and enable a viable workforce.
- Establish, maintain, and grow relationships with community and professional organizations in order to discover qualified talent
- Travel to recruitment and community events, as needed to ensure appropriate UMHS employer presence, as part of the Talent Acquisition team,
- Recommend marketing techniques, strategies and media needs
- Travel both locally and nationally to healthcare finance conventions, career days, job fairs, and other recruitment related activities and track contacts/prospective candidates for open finance positions
- Establish, maintain, and grow the relationships with schools of business and public health in order to ensure a steady pipeline of qualified newly graduated finance professionals
- independently plan, implement and develop recruitment strategies and sourcing techniques to identify talented finance candidates with greatest potential for success in the UMHS
- Baccalaureate degree in Business, Human Resources, or highly related field is required.
- Considerable experience with the following:
- organizational effectiveness design and implementation
- training or other program development and implementation including analyzing and designing novel solutions
- working in teams with a variety of stakeholders to implement those solutions
- written and verbal professional communications through publications and presentations
- Reasonable experience with talent acquisition
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as demonstrated by the ability to work effectively with individuals and or teams, across disciplines
- Excellent communication skills as demonstrated in oral and written forms
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Extensive knowledge in recruitment and retention strategies
- Independent Judgement
- Demonstrated excellent customer service and professional communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to engage, motivate and work with others within a diverse environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, problem-solve, market ideas and implement creative solutions
- Ability to travel within the University of Michigan Campus (daily), routinely to other tri-county Michigan locations (approximately 10%), and outside of Michigan, as needed (less than 10%)
- Master’s degree in Business, Human Resources, or highly related field
- 3-5 years’ experience with talent acquisition, preferably in finance, healthcare or academic medicine
- Significant experience with the following:
- Advising managers or working at a managerial level, preferably in a dynamic organization
- Organizational effectiveness design and implementation
- Training and program development and implementation including analyzing and designing novel solutions
- Working in teams with a variety of stakeholders to implement those solutions
- Written and verbal professional communications through publications and presentations
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in data preparation, analysis and presentation
- Knowledge and experience working with applicant tracking systems
- Demonstrated expertise in program planning, implementation, and evaluation is preferred
- Working knowledge of University policies and procedures is desired
- Knowledge and experience with PeopleSoft, eRecruit and HealthcareSource pre-employment assessment
- Experience analyzing data sets and creating reports with Excel Pivot Tables and graphs, or other higher level analytics / business intelligence tools (Tableau, SQL, etc.)
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.