How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to the position.
The Department of Cardiac Surgery seeks an Administrative Assistant Senior to provide high quality support for up to 3 – 6 faculty with both clinical and research disciplines. This includes complex calendar management as well as providing support as needed to research staff in labs at NCRC. This person may be responsible for defined parts of small projects as well as phases of larger projects. The ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills is a key component of this position.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support for the academic responsibilities of Cardiac Surgery faculty.
- Effectively manage the faculty’s daily electronic calendar; anticipate and resolve conflicts and deadlines.
- Schedule meetings.
- Answer, screen, handle and/or route all program business telephone, fax and email communications.
- Track messages and assist with responses.
- Word process/format/edit a variety of correspondence and performs document management for manuscripts, abstracts, protocols, grant reviews, minutes, etc.
- Process equipment purchases
- Regularly update all faculty reference databases, curriculum vitae, NIH other support documents, and resource pages.
- Organize and distribute incoming/outgoing mail. Open/prioritize faculty mail and assist with follow-up.
- Complete business travel arrangements, including registrations, transportation, lodging, etc., and related external and University forms.
- Process reimbursements through CONCUR.
- Submit and track Request for Temporary Faculty Absence form.
- File and maintain faculty documents and records.
- Provide support for all other academic/research administrative projects.
- As part of the office team, provide cross coverage within the department for administrative assistants as needed.
- Serve as a host and guide for faculty applicants in for interview days.
- P-Card management and reconciliation
Over 5 years of administrative assistant experience. Proven ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and produce detailed and accurate work; demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and work successfully within a team and also independently; excellent computer skills (especially in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat); excellent verbal, interpersonal, and organizational skills with a strong customer focus; excellent written and oral skills; and proven ability to assess and handle highly sensitive and confidential matters. Must be extremely organized, accurate, and detailed oriented, along with the ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously with numerous interruptions.
Associate or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience as with at least 5 years of administrative support experience for surgical faculty; understanding of University policies and procedures; knowledge of medical terminology.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.