A successful candidate will be working with two research groups within Industrial and Operations Engineering, one led by Professor Pascal Van Hentenryck, the other by Associate Professor Seth Guikema. Together, these groups have approximately 20 Ph.D. students, postdoctoral researchers and substantial funding from government agencies and private industry. Professor Van Hentenryck’s group focuses on data science and optimization with applications in transportation, energy systems, computational social science, and disaster management. Professor Guikema’s group focuses on data-driven risk analysis for natural hazards, terrorism, and climate change and the use of complex systems models for incorporating behavior and decision-making into regional scale, long-term models of the evolution of regional vulnerability, resilience, and sustainability.
- Perform technical management of two research groups, promote efficient workflow and communications, develop project schedules, and determine resources needed.
- Ensure completion of detailed schedules for projects from initiation to delivery and keeps PI and key stakeholders informed of any deviations.
- Provide staff support to diverse leadership groups, including scheduling meetings, coordination of agendas, taking meeting minutes, and assistance in preparing and review materials for discussion.
- Prepare and edit reports, summaries, presentations and correspondence related to project work for management review utilizing reporting tools such as PowerPoint, Access, Excel, and others as identified.
- Assist in formal preparation of sponsored proposals and submissions.
- Ability to present and communicate research to diverse audiences.
- Manage liaison with industrial and governmental partners regarding proposals, milestones, and engagements in general.
- Utilizes technology to ensure efficiency within the research groups.
- Identifies research opportunities relevant to principal investigator's research area.
- High degree of flexibility to work proactively on a team while also able to work independently on many tasks.
- Proactively identify and raise issues and make recommendations, before such information is requested.
- Provide analytical guidance and data analysis to support projects.
- Facilitate and coordinate research programs, assists in developing research, participates in professional conferences and provides public relations support.
- Manage summer camp program for the research group.
- Collect and analyze internal performance data. Prepare written and graphic displays of the findings. Interpret findings and develop solution alternatives as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Master's Degree in a scientific field and more than 2 years of experience.
- Demonstrated research and project management experience.
- Demonstrated creative and analytical approach to issues.
- Demonstrated problem solver.
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow and meet operational deadlines in a complex organization with minimal on-site supervision.
- Ability to analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action and have the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of their responsibilities.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, and experience presenting complex analyses in a variety of executive forums.
- Proven ability to function as a member of a team, build effective working relationships and demonstrate initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and tolerate a moderate degree of ambiguity.
- Demonstrated project management skills and experience.
- Reasonable knowledge of “lean thinking” concepts in planning and operations analysis.
- Reasonable experience researching and developing queries to extract data.
- Reasonable experience using data management software, including Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, Project, Visio
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Project Manager Professional Certification, or Lean/Six Sigma Certification.
- Programming experience
- 3- 5 years in research environment
This position is a term limited appointment for two years from the hire date.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.