How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 136133 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 136134
A total of 1, 1.0 FTE, Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
- Provider would cover clinical responsibilities for permanent mid-level providers who are either out on medical leave, maternity leave, or for an open position.
- Provide care and direct management to adult patients with benign and malignant hematology/oncology conditions.
- Primary workplace in the outpatient ambulatory setting seeing new patients and return visits including: History taking/ physical examination and patient evaluation, inpatient admissions and facilitation of transitions in care for patients between the inpatient and outpatient setting.
- Attend to patients with infusion room complications such as infusion reactions and see same day add-on patients within the Ambulatory Diagnostic Treatment Unit (ADTU)
- Patient and family education, counseling and support, collaboration with and referrals to other health care providers, and provision of education to nursing staff, students, and the community.
- Collaborative work with physicians in writing orders for chemotherapy, and supportive care, performance of procedures such as bone marrow aspiration and biopsy and lumbar puncture and others as appropriate.
- Review laboratory and radiographic tests results and interface with faculty and patients regarding results and directing the plan of care.
- Participate in clinical and translational research as appropriate.
- Participate in workshops and CME activities pertinent to benign and malignant hematology and oncology. Attendance at program meetings at University of Michigan Cancer Center, and occasionally attend regional or national meetings.
This position is also posted in the Patient Care Services job family under number 136134 for PAs to apply.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Nursing Specific Info
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and specialty certification as a Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as an as an Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult primary care Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan is preferred. Family nurse Practitioner will be considered.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a physician assistant program accredited by ARC-PA or one of its predecessor agencies.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Minimum of 3 years prior NP/PA experience working in oncology and or hematology.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as measured by references and interviews.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Three or more years of PA/NP clinical experience.
- Progressive expertise in the management of patients at the Advanced Practice level.
- Commitment to clinical and translational research.
- The ability to function independently.
- Demonstrated leadership in work setting and other professional activities.
- Experience in the University of Michigan Health System.
Hours: 40 hrs a week
Shift: Day Shift, Hours TBD
Location: Comprehensive Cancer Center , Decentralized Float: Team Blue, Team Gold, Team Maize Sub-ACUs within the outpatient Hematology/Oncology Programs
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nurse opportunities please contact UMHS Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail nurserecruit_UMHS@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at UMHS, please visit www.umnursing.org
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.