- Provide expert nursing care to the patients on 6B, an Internal Medicine unit that primarily cares for medicine, adult patients who are clinically complex and often highly dependent, with the ultimate goal of maximum independence, patient self-management and/or family care giving.
- Provide clinical expertise in a consultative role to nursing staff.
- Assess, design, and conduct in-service presentations and competencies for nursing staff regarding clinical nursing care and the learning needs of the Internal Medicine patient population.
- Investigate, design, evaluate, and modify as necessary nursing care programs in collaboration with the Clinical Nurse Specialist, Clinical Nurse Supervisor and Nurse Manager.
- Assist in maintaining orientation, education, and competency records.
- Perform unit audits related to quality improvement initiatives.
- Actively participate in the orientation program for staff, including scheduling, preceptor development and training, and precepting nurses and assistive personnel.
- Membership and participation on nursing and hospital wide committees.
- Participate in the development and implementation of unit quality improvement programs and activities in collaboration with the 6B team.
- Provide leadership and mentoring for the 6B staff. Provide input on performance plan as requested by the Nurse Manager or Supervisor.
- The staffing component of this role will reflect clinical as well as educational needs.
Nursing Specific Info
Salary & Nursing Framework Level:
This UMPNC RN posting is posted under the Role-Specific Advancement Model (RSAM) as:
Actual RSAM LEVEL and salary will be determined at time of hire.
RSAM levels range from ENC-COMPETENT to ENC-EXPERT TO ENC-MASTERY.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current MI RN License
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Five (5) or more years nursing experience, as a Registered Nurse is necessary. **Four (4) of the Five (5) years must be current and directly related to the care of inpatient Internal Medicine population.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as evidenced by previous evaluations.
- Excellent teaching skills as evident by current employment experience and evaluations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to direct nursing practice, delegate, evaluate outcomes, prioritizes problem solving and successfully resolve conflicts as demonstrated by employment experience and evaluations.
- Ability to provide leadership in a health care setting as demonstrated by current employment and evaluations.
- Demonstrated proficiency in documentation as indicated by current employment.
- Excellent leadership skills in facilitating group dynamic and team development as indicated by current employment and evaluations.
- Demonstrated evidence of participation in continuous quality improvement by involvement in teams and by supporting changes recommended through the continuous quality improvement process, within the organization and unit level.
- High level of self-motivation and commitment to improving patient outcomes as demonstrated by previous project work
- Demonstrated excellence and proficiency with nursing documentation
- Possess working knowledge of University Hospital nursing policy and practice.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- BSN preferred
- Excellent leadership skills in facilitating group dynamic and team development.
- Excellent charge nurse skills as demonstrated by strong organization, which includes proficient use of GroupWise email Outlook and Microsoft Word and Power point.
- Demonstrated evidence of teaching experience with the Adult Internal Medicine patient population within the last year.
- Participation in continuous quality improvement (CQI) efforts
- Supportive of changes recommended through CQI process
- High level of self-motivation and commitment to improving patient outcomes
- Working knowledge of UMHS nursing policy and practice
- Proficient in adult learning principles.
- Ability to establish a strong, positive working relationship with the 6B nursing and assistive staff.
Hours: 40 hours/week
Shift/Hours/Days: Day Shift. ***Will be expected to flex schedule to meet the needs of the staff who work days, evenings, nights and
The 6B ENC will be 80% productive and 20% nonproductive
Location: University Hospital-6B Internal Medicine
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.