Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Market Title: Customer Service Assistant Intermediate 100280
Working Title: Event Associate, Guest Relations and Data Analyst
University and Development Events
Office of University Development
Reports to: Assistant Director, Guest Relations & Event Support
Office of University and Development Events
Supervises directly: N/A
Position summary: The Event Associate, Guest Relations and Data Analyst will provide assistance in the planning and execution of logistics for development, ceremonial, and presidential events. Primary responsibilities include guest list management and distribution of reports, providing front-line customer service to guests, and production of event materials. Responsibilities also include handling of sensitive and personal information. The Guest Relations Associate will also provide on-site support services to event guests and participants.
50% Guest Relations and Support:
• Manage event databases for tracking guest attendance, including daily input of guest information, management of multiple guest lists, and production and distribution of detailed reports.
• Create and update reports related to attendance, seating, dietary, leadership, and additional event-specific reports as needed.
• Prepare printed items for events, including: Name tags, place cards, diagrams, chair cards, and registration materials.
• Prepare event briefing materials including guest lists, agendas, and other reports.
• Schedule event planning meetings and conference rooms, prepare meeting agendas, and compile meeting minutes. Prepare guest count reports for all meetings.
• Provide high-level of customer service to all guests, including high-profile attendees.
• Manage invitee and guest lists for invitations, reminders, and confirmation mailings.
• Communicate with guests to provide event information, collect RSVP, and event payment, including handling of personal check and credit card information.
• Create and maintain event file resources on a per event basis, including distribution of event materials to University archives, organization of electronic files on shared network, and storage of photographs, videos, etc.
• Prepare and pack event supplies. Maintain organization of supplies pre- and post- event.
• Provide on-site staffing for events as requested
• Manage on-site guest registration process.
40 % Data management and analysis
• Prepare invitation guest lists based on criteria by working with OUD departments and pull queries through U-M’s DART Blackbaud-based database system.
• Critically review invitee lists for accuracy and data verification, including manipulating excel data.
• Prepare reports summarizing invitation list reviews, provide invitee quantities based on various scenarios.
• Serve as a data liaison for UDE and share best practices and processes with other employees.
10% Office Support:
• Department main line telephone coverage
• Telephone and reception desk coverage
• Perform other duties as assigned including but not limited to: photocopying, preparing envelopes, and department errands.
• Overtime is required for this position and may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Overtime in the office averages 0-4 hours per week during September-April. Generally, less overtime is required during May-August. In addition to overtime in the office, additional overtime may be required for onsite event staffing. Overtime hours are not guaranteed and the total amount of overtime required from candidate will vary from week to week based on the schedule of events.
• Direct supervision is received from the Assistant Director, Guest Relations & Event Support
• A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
• Minimum 1-2 years demonstrated office experience required.
• Team approach is required.
• Must demonstrate the ability to balance multiple projects with high-level accuracy in a deadline driven environment.
• Candidate must be flexible and able to work with changing timelines. Extensive independence, initiative, and judgment are necessary in the execution of responsibilities.
• Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
• Must demonstrate the ability to provide excellent customer service to event guests,
including high level and prominent attendees.
• Superior proofreading ability and written and oral communications skills are required.
• Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software, including MS Visio and FileMaker 12.
• Candidate must have experience in gathering information through various methods, including the telephone, e-mail, Internet, and in-person visits.
• Familiarity with the University organization, policies, and procedures.
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
Office of University Development Mission Statement:
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
Office of University and Development Events Mission Statement:
The Office of University and Development Events creates meaningful experiences for donors, alumni, faculty, staff, and students that celebrate their accomplishments and enhance their relationships with the University of Michigan.
Our goal is to craft welcoming, educational, stimulating and memorable environments for our guests. The emotional impact of their experiences inspires stronger unity, pride and support for the University.
• We give our undivided attention to every detail and provide service of the highest quality, offering our guests experiences that exceed their expectations while upholding the principles of fiscal responsibility.
• We work together as a dedicated team with common goals. We value, we support and
we respect our team, our colleagues and the mission of the University.
• All that we do upholds the integrity of the University.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.