Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Working Title: Event Associate, Temporary
University and Development Events
Office of University Development
Reports to: Assistant Director, Guest Relations & Event Support
Office of University and Development Events
Supervises directly: N/A
Position summary: The Event Associate, Temporary will provide assistance in the planning and execution of logistics for development, ceremonial, and presidential events. Primary responsibilities include guest list management and distribution of reports, providing front-line customer service to guests, and production of event materials. Responsibilities also include handling of sensitive and personal information. Event Associate, Guest Relations and Support will also provide on-site support services to event guests and participants.
90% Guest Relations and Event Support:
• Manage event databases for tracking guest attendance, including daily input of guest information, management of multiple guest lists, and production and distribution of detailed reports.
• Create and update reports related to attendance, seating, dietary, leadership, and additional event-specific reports as needed.
• Prepare printed items for events, including: Name tags, place cards, diagrams, chair cards, and registration materials.
• Prepare event briefing materials including guest lists, agendas, and other reports.
• Schedule event planning meetings and conference rooms, prepare meeting agendas, and compile meeting minutes. Prepare guest count reports for all meetings.
• Provide high-level of customer service to all guests, including high-profile attendees.
• Manage invitee and guest lists for invitations, reminders, and confirmation mailings.
• Communicate with guests to provide event information, collect RSVP, and event payment, including handling of personal check and credit card information.
• Create and maintain event file resources on a per event basis, including distribution of event materials to University archives, organization of electronic files on shared network, and storage of photographs, videos, etc.
• Prepare and pack event supplies. Maintain organization of supplies pre- and post- event.
• Provide on-site staffing for events as requested.
• Manage on-site guest registration process.
10% Office Support:
• Department main line telephone coverage
• Telephone and reception desk coverage
• Perform other duties as assigned including but not limited to: photocopying, preparing envelopes, and department errands.
• Suggest potential improvements that improve the work we do and the events we produce.
• Overtime is required for this position and may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Overtime in the office averages 0-4 hours per week during September-April. Generally, less overtime is required during May-August. In addition to overtime in the office, additional overtime may be required for onsite event staffing. Overtime hours are not guaranteed and the total amount of overtime required from candidate will vary from week to week based on the schedule of events.
• Direct supervision is received from the Assistant Director, Guest Relations & Event Support
• The operating principles that we work under are: respect, responsibility, collaboration, communication, development and growth, support, and customer focus.
• A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
• Minimum 1-2 years demonstrated office experience required.
• Previous experience working in a team setting
• Must demonstrate the ability to balance multiple projects with high-level accuracy in a deadline driven environment
• Candidate must be flexible and able to work with changing timelines. Extensive independence, initiative, and judgment are necessary in the execution of responsibilities.
• Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
• Must demonstrate the ability and passion to provide excellent customer service to event guests, including high level and prominent attendees
• Previous experience in a customer service role (phones, email, and face-to-face preferred)
• Superior proofreading ability and written and oral communications skills are required.
• Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
• Exceptional attention to detail in all areas of work
• Extensive knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software, especially, MS Publisher, MS Excel, and MS Word
• Value the importance of building relationships with our constituents (students, parents, donors, and alumni)
• Familiarity with the University organization, policies, and procedures is desirable
• Experience with database software such as Filemaker or similar
• Familiarity with teamwork.com, formstack.com, Cvent, and/or zkipster.com
• Candidate must have a strong interest higher education development and event planning.
• Desire to enhance and improve the University of Michigan’s position as an international leader in Development
• Familiarity with the University of Michigan organization, policies, and procedures is desirable
• Development/Advancement experience desirable
• Exposure to/use of DART program
• Volunteer experience in a non-profit setting
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
Office of University Development Mission Statement:
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
Office of University and Development Events Mission Statement:
The Office of University and Development Events creates meaningful experiences for donors, alumni, faculty, staff, and students that celebrate their accomplishments and enhance their relationships with the University of Michigan.
Our goal is to craft welcoming, educational, stimulating and memorable environments for our guests. The emotional impact of their experiences inspires stronger unity, pride and support for the University.
• We give our undivided attention to every detail and provide service of the highest quality, offering our guests experiences that exceed their expectations while upholding the principles of fiscal responsibility.
• We work together as a dedicated team with common goals. We value, we support and
we respect our team, our colleagues and the mission of the University.
• All that we do upholds the integrity of the University.
Office of University and Development Events – Operating Principles:
Respect -We are professionals who respect each other’s work styles and individual priorities, both personally and professionally. Our individual contributions are embraced by each member of our team. Responsibility - We are responsible stewards of our resources; consciously holding ourselves fiscally and environmentally accountable to the mission of the University. Collaboration - We are committed to sharing knowledge and best practices through a variety of methods. We proactively include team members and stakeholders in the planning process. We recognize that relying on each other for assistance is not only vital to our own success, but that of our team. Communication - We communicate openly throughout our department, where we are constructive and approachable. We deliberately and mindfully share information among the team. Development and Growth - We energetically seek and support the development of ourselves and our team by collecting and offering honest feedback, challenging ourselves with new learning opportunities, and pursuing all that the University has to offer. Support - We work toward a common goal and encourage each other to ask for and provide support. We support each other’s daily effort to balance time and energy across goals between life and work; fostering a flexible environment that values each other’s’ perspectives and priorities. Customer Focus - We take great pride in our commitment to superior customer service and do everything within our abilities to provide each guest with an exceptional Michigan experience.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.