How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Health System is seeking a Software Planning & Design Manager to join the Software Delivery leadership team within Health Information Technology & Services (HITS).
The Software Delivery organization is responsible for delivering valuable, reliable and secure software solutions that solve the right business problems and support the patient care, research and education mission. We deliver software that helps medical students learn and develop, allows educators to provide better feedback, enables researchers to get real time data from their study participants and supports clinicians to better serve their patients.
The Software Planning & Design Manager will play an integral role in the Software Delivery organization ensuring that we understand the business problems, are proposing superior solutions and helping our business partners make informed investment decisions. This manager will lead a team of project/product managers and user experience professionals working as embedded members within our agile software development teams. We are focused on building a strong collaborative team and working collectively across our organization to improve the lives of our customers and users while maintaining an outstanding work environment.
The primary responsibility of this role will be managing the Software Planning & Design team, including professional development, mentoring and hiring. This manager is also expected to lead the following organizational improvements intended to strengthen our ability to deliver valuable, high quality software in efficient ways:
- Improve discovery capability - Work with the team to clarify objectives, recommend potential solutions and align stakeholder expectations prior to project kick-off.
- Drive product-based approach - Improve how we design software by facilitating the development of product definitions and plans to add the required functionality to our products over time.
- Increase consistency across teams - Leverage the unique skills and experience of the team to determine what tools, techniques and deliverables should be common across projects and team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 3 to 5 years experience in supervising, recruiting, coaching, providing feedback, and career planning with employees. Experience in team building and team dynamics.
- 4 years of experience in software, product or web application development
- 3 years experience with Product Management, User Experience Research/Design, Business Analysis, Product Ownership or Agile Project Management
- Demonstrated ability to develop and mentor others
- Strong influencing, negotiation, conflict resolution and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Desire to work in a team based collaborative environment
- Passion for making the world better for your users
- Interest and ability in investigating, analyzing, and defining a business problem
- Demonstrated experience with Agile techniques and practices
- Experience in leading organizational change initiatives
- Graduate degree in related field
- Experience in academic, research or clinical setting
- Experience with user experience design or research
- Experience working with self-organizing teams
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.