How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Our interdisciplinary team seeks one Program Assistant with a strong background and interest in community-based programming to assist with implementation of a new grant-funded program to engage fathers in the Genesee County (Flint) Michigan area. This individual will work directly with the project PIs (Shawna Lee, at the University of Michigan; and Dawn Scharer at the Genesee County Health Department) and other staff of the Genesee County Healthy Start program to engage the male partners of pregnant and parenting women who are participating in Healthy Start, other home visiting programs, and WIC in Genesee County, MI. The Program Assistant will be tasked with implementing the engaged father program activities, conducting community outreach on a weekly basis, and assisting with data collection efforts related to evaluation of this grant-funded project. Must have a strong interest in fatherhood and parenting programs and community-based research. This is a temporary position with potential to work either part time or full time (24-40 hours per week) depending on applicant criteria. Pay will be commensurate with background and experience, ranging from $20-$25/ hour (no benefits are available at this time). Competitive applicants must demonstrate experience and background in conducting community-based work as well as ability to travel throughout Genesee County and occasionally to Ann Arbor. This position will be based in Flint, and will require travel to Ann Arbor.
- Conduct on-site outreach at sites throughout Genesee County, MI, including Hurley Hospital, WIC clinics, and Healthy Start sites, at least one day per week
- Engage fathers and families at community sites in Genesee County
- Disseminate program materials to fathers and families
- Implement special programming related to the engaged father program
- Enroll fathers in a text messaging program called Text4dad
- Participate in weekly team meetings
- Provide resources and referrals
- Provide limited case management
- Generate weekly reports on outreach activities to Dr. Lee and Ms. Scharer
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.