The Division of Cardiovascular Medicine's Cardiac Procedures Unit is seeking a temporary Cardiac Sonographer for the UMH Adult Echocardiography Laboratory.
Perform non-invasive cardiac diagnostic procedures utilizing ultrasound technology. Assist physicians in performance of invasive cardiac diagnostic procedures, also utilizing ultrasound technology. Operate and maintain ultrasound equipment. Monitor and record data from all procedures. Provide appropriate patient care. Perform all duties and responsibilities with direct supervision at the main hospital laboratory, or independently at off-site facilities.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Perform Diagnostic Procedures including Transthoracic echocardiograms, Color Flow Doppler, Spectral Doppler, Stress echocardiograms utilizing treadmill and bicycle, Stress echocardiograms utilizing pharmacological agents (dobutamine), and Assist with Transesophageal echocardiograms. Related duties include:
- Select appropriate ultrasound equipment and ancillary equipment required by individual echo study. Set up procedure room.
- Contact requesting service and/or access patient clinical history when appropriateness of requested procedure is in question.
- Explain procedure to patient, and instruct and assist patient in assuming physical positions for study. Respect patient physical ability, modesty, and comfort.
- Operate equipment to maximize image quality and data acquisition. Choose appropriate transducers, adjust control settings, and follow standard protocols to complete each study.
- Make decisions to involve other lab personnel (RN, Fellow, Attending) as needed to obtain a complete, optimal diagnostic study. Request contrast studies to optimize imaging and answer all diagnostic questions.
- Measure, record, and save data as required for each procedure. Complete preliminary findings on report form.
- Assist physicians with invasive echo procedures (Transesophageal echocardiograms), and ultrasound-guided procedures (RV Biopsies, Pericardiocentesis). Measure, record, and save data as required.
- Monitor physiological status of patient when needed; assist in initiation and maintenance of emergency procedures.
- Follow guidelines in reporting critical findings to scheduled Lab Attending.
- Establish scheduling guidelines for specific off-site facilities; schedule patients as needed at sites without clerical support.
- Perform data entry and report generation at sites without clerical support.
Perform duties Related to Procedures, including:
- Maintain and clean equipment used in both invasive and non-invasive echo procedures, following established health and safety guidelines. Maintain and clean procedure rooms.
- Perform data entry specific to each procedure (patient demographics, billing, report maintenance).
Related Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in acquisition of data for clinical research protocols.
- Provide training/instruction on the operation of ultrasound equipment to other professional medical personnel.
- Maintain patient files and records.
- Participate in continuing educational opportunities as appropriate for obtaining/maintaining professional registry status.
- Associate's Degree in Cardiovascular Technology is required (2 years).
- Candidate must be an ARDMS Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer.
- BCLS certification required.
- Understands and demonstrates the core concepts of Patient and Family Centered Care (PFCC), including: Respect and Dignity, Information Sharing, Participation, and Collaboration.
- Experience with new echo technologies such as 3Dor Strain Imaging.
- Experience with pediatric echocardiography or adult congenital echocardiography.
- Wide variety of computer skills including, MiChart, Word, and Excel.
- Knowledge of the University of Michigan Hospital Nursing policies and practice.
- Demonstrated accountability/dependability as evidenced, for example, by a stellar attendance record; by completion of mandatories and unit based competencies within an established time frame; by meeting deadlines and completing required work.
- Always strives to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem by offering constructive, creative ideas.
Temporary assignment. Weekly hours will vary and based on unit needs.
Standard Saturday schedule required with hours from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Additional weekly hours as needed .
Clinic hours are Monday through Friday, Days. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Work locations may vary between our Echo sites in and outside of Ann Arbor.
We, the staff and faculty of the U-M Cardiovascular Center (CVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence.
Each CVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The CVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Applicants are expected to review the following PowerPoint presentation which provides an overview of the Cardiovascular Center's philosophy and culture: http://www.med.umich.edu/cvc/cvcpotentialteam.pdf
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.