Basic Responsibility: Under direct supervision, works with graphic designers and other developers to develop, test, maintain, and support tools, databases, and content structures for ICLE’s responsive website and web-based products. Modifies and creates reports. Integrates web applications with backend databases. Troubleshoots and analyzes website problems and recommends solutions that work within a legacy system. Includes front-end development tasks.
35% Working within the constraints of a legacy system, write programs to develop, modify, and maintain a responsive website, web-based products, and its underlying systems. Create and modify reports.
· Use ASP.NET, and C# to create and maintain web pages and tools as assigned, to develop and maintain structure, navigation, interactivity, search, and electronic content files.
· Understand ICLE’s database structure and use MS SQL Server and Transact-SQL to accurately query ICLE’s SQL databases.
· Work in teams and independently to understand user needs, technical approach, and required functionality. Includes soliciting user requirements from others, scheduling and preparing for meetings, documenting decisions and specs, presenting information, gaining approvals, and communicating technical approach to stakeholders outside of the department.
· Participate in team meetings to discuss specifics of projects, assigned work, trouble shoot problems, and brainstorm and evaluate technical approaches. Provide input.
· Identify potential database structural additions and/or changes. Seek approval and accurately make changes.
· Collaborate with staff to create and modify reports-includes leading meetings to determine what the user is trying to answer, testing reports for accurate results, presenting completed reports, and training others on their use.
· Use XML and XSLT with logic to display properly formatted xml content with modification in display pages. Propose XML content changes.
· Identify and effectively communicate about potentially problematic areas, provide e estimates, and collaborate with team members and other staff to identify the most eficient approach.Troubleshoot, analyze, and recommend solutions to identified website, web-based products, and their underlying systems. Communicate to team and manager on status and ultimate cause and resolution.
· Research various courses of action and software applications, evaluate and document options, present findings, and make recommendations for approach. Gain approvals.
· Develop macros and procedures for efficient processing and posting of online content.
· Apply ICLE standards for performance, design, and quality on ICLE’s Web site.
· Keep abreast of technology and programming changes. Contribute to routine analysis of platform and approach applying latest trends. Complete assigned research related to maintenance of ICLE platform.
25% Use HTML, HTML 5, CSS, and Java Script to accurately and efficiently develop desired front-end implementation
· Collaborate with graphic designers to understand wireframes and design specifications. Analyze potential problems, clearly articulate issues, and provide alternative suggestions for approach. Work collaboratively to define a solution. Accurately implement the front-end for website and web-based products.
· Accurately apply ICLE’s CSS.
· Review completed pages for accuracy and adjust as necessary.
· Update pages as needed to reflect global changes made during the course of a project.
25% Comprehensively self-test developed pages and collaboratively move pages through ICLE’s established testing procedures. Fix identified problems. Participate in launches.
· Understand and apply ICLE’s testing environment and procedures.
· Move developed pages through ICLE’s external testing procedures. Understand provided feedback. Collaborate with team members and product developers to bring pages to desired readiness. Communicate status.
· Participate as directed to launch finished pages (may involve weekend work)
10% Plan, coordinate and track assigned projects
· Contribute to creation of project plans including providing times estimates and logical approach to work. Assess difficulty of specifications. Collaborate with team to efficiently complete project.
· Coordinate tasks and workload with manager and/or project manager. Keep abreast of status of work.
· Communicate with project stakeholders on project plans, timelines, and status.
· Communicate status of work and alert manager to potential deviations in schedule prior to missed deadlines.
5% Other duties as assigned
· Participate on ICLE teams.
· Ensure compliance with Affirmative Action and Safety Programs.
Analyze, compare, and evaluate various courses of action and make recommendations. Employees are not involved in the operation, repair, or maintenance of computer hardware, networks, or equipment.
Decisions have considerable impact on Institute product development and operations.
· Successful completion of a work sample administered at ICLE.
· Bachelor’s degree plus 3-4 years practical experience coding in a professional environment.
· Ability to apply the latest technical approaches to a legacy system and recommend appropriate approaches
· Proficiency in HTML5, CSS, current Web browsers, and current mobile devices
· Demonstrated ability to evaluate and learn new programming languages and computer applications quickly
· Knowledge of Web page design and style standards and Web site organization standards
· Demonstrated ability to develop based on wireframes and design specifications
· Demonstrated reliability, accuracy, and attention to detail
· Ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical staff, including understanding staff requests and providing programs and reports
· Demonstrated ability to actively participate and effectively work in teams by providing input and feedback in relation to technical approach and specifications/functionality
· Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
· Demonstrated ability to complete projects quickly, accurately, and on schedule
· Experience in front-end development
· Demonstrated ability to plan for and lead meetings to identify user needs and product specification.
· Experience displaying XML documents using XSLT.
· Proficiency in current web server software
· Familiarity with responsive web design
· Familiarity with principles of project management and agile development
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.