We are seeking a Billing/Patient Acct Rep Specialist to oversee the insurance referral/authorization process. This selected candidate for this position will interact with physicians, technicians, front-end clerical staff, billing staff and patients. This person will also work MI-Chart edits. This person will need to investigate edits to see why the edit occurred and what can be done to prevent it in the future.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Display excellent customer service skills.
- Serve as liaison between physicians, outpatient associates, insurance companies and patients in the referral process
- Work edits in MI-Chart Workques.
- Check and verify insurance coverage for procedures.
- Obtain insurance referrals and authorizations for clinical visits, testing and procedures
- Counsel the patient on their out-of-pocket expenses
- Explain insurance coverage (i.e. CO-pays, deductibles, out-of-pocket expense) to the patients.
- Reconcile the charge batches
- Collect for current and past services for physician and hospital
- Handle incoming phone calls and walk-ins regarding patient statements, referrals, and authorizations for both physician and hospital services.
- Assist with cash balancing and reconciliation process
- Job duties subject to change
- High School diploma
- Two or more years of experience working with patients and/or medical insurance plans.
- Excellent customer service skills and attendance history.
- Ability to problem solve and multitask effectively.
- Candidate must be a team player as well as be able to work independently.
- Must be able to multitask and successfully manage a fast paced and challenging work environment/duties.
- A college degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understand the cash balancing policies and procedures.
- Have working knowledge about MI-chart, E-referral, and Web-Denis
- General computer literacy including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiar with CPT, HCPC and ICD-9 codes, modifiers
- Experience in Ophthalmology and/or Plastic Surgery billing
Hours are either 8:00 to 5:00 or 8:30 to 5:30.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.