How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and must be attached as the first page of your resume. The letter should address your specific interest in and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Please submit contact information for 3 professional references along with your resume.
The ADVANCE Program is seeking a temporary staff member to be a part of the research and evaluation team. The work of ADVANCE’s research and evaluation staff includes conducting a wide range of quantitative and qualitative research studies and compiling and assessing institutional data. This is a 40 hour per week position; begin date is flexible but should begin in March and go through August, 2017. The salary is $20-30/hour depending on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This person will assist with high-level and complex research and evaluation support to a major campus-wide program.
ADVANCE began as a five-year, grant-funded project promoting institutional transformation with respect to women faculty in science and engineering fields. With the University’s commitment to continue funding, the program has expanded to promote other kinds of diversity among faculty and students in all fields. The ADVANCE Program aims to improve the University of Michigan’s campus environment in four general areas:
(1) Recruitment – focused on development and use of equitable recruiting practices;
(2) Retention – focused on preemptive strategies to prevent the loss of valued faculty;
(3) Climate – focused on improvement of departmental climate;
(4) Leadership – focused on support for development of leadership skills and opportunities as well as on support for development of skills among all academic leaders to encourage supportive climates.
Collaborative units for this program include the Medical School, the College of Engineering, the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, and other University units.
Under supervision of the project’s research and evaluation director, the individual in this position will work, in collaboration with the ADVANCE Program’s other research and evaluation staff, to collect, integrate, analyze and report on institutional data related to recruitment, retention and promotion, leadership, and pipeline issues for faculty and students at the University of Michigan. This work requires developing and maintaining ongoing data collection-related relationships with all colleges within the University of Michigan, use of M-Pathways HR data, and the creation, maintenance and analysis of longitudinal data.
The person in this position may also manage or assist with the several unit climate assessments and other campus studies that are undertaken each year, as needed, including data collection (including planning, constructing and disseminating surveys), data cleaning and analyses (both quantitative and qualitative) and report preparation.
· Graduation from a college or university with a Bachelor's degree and preferably, possession of a Master's degree in a related field; some work experience in research or related technical fields.
· Experience in providing complex research project and administrative support.
· Experience in data collection, management and interpretation.
· Knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Experience with SPSS.
· Excellent writing ability and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to prioritize tasks and manage work with competing deadlines is essential. This person should be well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to work independently as well as part of a project team.
· Ability to facilitate collaborative relationships between various schools and colleges on campus to successfully accomplish project objectives.
· Advanced degree in a social science or science discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience and research interest in the area of equity in the workplace.
· Training in and experience with M-Pathways HR databases.
· Knowledge of University policies and procedures is desired, as well as familiarity with the UM-ADVANCE Program and its objectives.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.