HOW TO APPLY: A cover letter and resume are required for consideration for this position. The cover letter should be included in the same document as your resume and should specifically address your interest in this position and outline particular skills and experience directly related to this position.
MPulse Summer Performing Arts Institutes inspire high school students to exciting new levels of excellence in music performance, musical theatre, theatre, and dance. Sessions are designed for students who are considering studying these areas in college. Participants work with distinguished University of Michigan faculty and alumni while experiencing campus life in Ann Arbor. To learn more about MPulse, please visit music.umich.edu/MPulse.
The Residence Life Director is responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of all residence life activities, and the supervision of the Residence Life Counseling staff. The Residence Life Director is also responsible for the supervision of all high school aged MPulse students in the residence halls in collaboration with the Program Director and Program Coordinators.
The Residence Life Director reports directly to the Program Director and directly supervises Residence Life Counselors. The Residence Life Director will be required to pass a University of Michigan background screening, and complete required University training modules for minors on campus.
Training and Management of Residence Life Counselors:
- Assist in the development and implementation of Residence Life Counselor training
- Conduct regular Residence Life staff meetings throughout the duration of MPulse
- Create a nurturing and supportive environment for MPulse students and residence life staff
- Supervise 10 - 11 Residence Life Counselors in their roles of implementing residence life procedures and upholding/enforcing U-M and MPulse policies
Assisting with Development of Residence Hall Procedures and Rules:
- Collaborate with the MPulse staff to plan and schedule administrative procedures relative to MPulse activities
- Establish and carry out procedures for monitoring and enforcing MPulse rules and regulations
- Produce, disseminate and monitor information to and from MPulse staff and participants relative to residence life rules and regulations
- Develop schedule for counselors, including daily tasks and days off
Managing Residence Hall Activities:
- Coordinate and maintain appropriate room/floor assignments for MPulse staff and students
- Maintain appropriate knowledge, supervision, and control of room use
- Handle arrangements for participants with documented special needs as assigned by MPulse staff
- Respond to crisis situations as they arise
- Communicate with parents and authorities when required
Managing Residence Life Activities:
- Plan the implementation of recreational activities
- Develop and disseminate the goals, objectives and content of cultural/enrichment activities for the MPulse staff and Residence Life Counselors.
- Make necessary initial and follow-up contacts for all planned activities
- Arrange for room space and other necessary facilities for all planned activities
- Develop, produce and disseminate a schedule containing all planned activities
- Observe activities in progress
- Respond to feedback from counselors relative to scheduled activities
- Prepare and administer questionnaires/surveys relative to co-curricular activities to program participants for evaluation purposes
- Report information on student activities to the Program Director and Coordinators
- Prepare a final report on the MPulse Residence Life program
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by MPulse staff
- Follow all University of Michigan Policies regarding minors on campus
- Bachelor’s degree
- Highly developed organizational, administrative, and communication skills
- Knowledgeable about handling crisis and/or medical emergency situations
- Experience as an educator/mentor for high school aged students
- Experience in planning and developing community building and cultural/enrichment activities
- Experience in supervising personnel and management of residence hall activities
- Must reside full-time in the residence hall during MPulse (July 5 - Aug 5, 2017)
- This position requires traveling to various locations on and off campus
- Experience interfacing with University faculty, parents and University personnel
- Background in music, theatre or dance
- University of Michigan alumni
- Previous involvement or knowledge of youth programs in a university setting
- Familiarity with U-M School of Music, Theatre & Dance and/or Youth & Adult Community Programs is a plus
- CPR Certified
June 26-July 3: Part-time, hours as scheduled
July 5-8: Full-time training and start-up activities – live in Residence Hall beginning July 5
July 9-August 5: Full-time – live in Residence Hall
$3,500 plus housing, parking, and most meals at Bursley Hall July 5 - Aug 5, 2017
This posting may be removed from the University job boards at any time after an initial seven (7) days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.