How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Provide strategic HR support in the areas of employee relations, compliance, diversity, performance management, HR analysis, succession planning, and organizational development within Facilities and Operations (FO) and assist in executing the HR strategy throughout FO. Collaborate with the HR team and management teams to support and improve organizational effectiveness, drive business results and ensure processes are consistently communicated and implemented.
Facilities and Operations has primary responsibility for the stewardship of the university's physical properties, including nearly 36 million square feet of building space. We are responsible for sophisticated and complex academic, research and clinical facilities, as well as associated environmental stewardship and regulatory compliance. We strive to optimize our resources in order to support the university's commitment to academic excellence and cost containment. Our areas include: Architecture, Engineering and Construction, Custodial & Grounds Services, Environment, Health & Safety, Logistics, Transportation & Parking, Maintenance - Auxiliaries & Central Shops, Maintenance - Regions, Operational Support, Real Estate Office, Office of Campus Sustainability, and Utilities.
As a member of the FO HR team:
- Provide support to the unit in the areas of employee relations, performance management, retention, and staffing to achieve organizational effectiveness.
- Ensure open and frequent communication on HR matters within the organization.
- Act as subject matter expert for FO HR group in recruitment and selection, employment law, organizational development, employee or labor relations.
- Participate in the development of HR programs to support the growth and capability within the units.
- Stay abreast of current trends and issues within HR.
- Investigate and resolve complex employee issues concerns such as discrimination or harassment complaints, and any violation of University Policy.
- Identify compensation issues and recommend appropriate action.
- Participate as a project member on university-wide HR initiatives as needed.
As an HR Generalist to FO Operations:
- Provide strategic and tactical management and HR consulting to FO groups during a period of substantial change. Proactively update groups within FO on HR related activities and initiatives.
- Partner with functional managers and HR Director to assess client business needs. Use data points to identify the health of client group. Define the key problem areas and associated strategies and action plans to solve problems / leverage opportunities.
- Facilitate collaborative problem solving strategies to resolve employee relations issues through effective communication with all levels of employees.
- Recommend and implement recruiting and on-boarding, selection, and retention processes.
- Perform management and employee training for HR policies and processes.
- Work closely with multiple union officials and bargained for employees, develop creative ideas for improvement, and assist employees with University services.
- 4-year college degree in HR, business or related area or equivalent work experience. Master's degree preferred.
- 6 plus years of progressive HR generalist experience.
- 6 plus years of progressive Labor Relations experience
- Must have a proven track record of relationship building with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to quickly handle employee conflicts and differences by interpreting verbal/ non-verbal behavior, detecting perceptions and needs of employees, understanding and valuing employee differences.
- Demonstrated business acumen and the ability to understand business strategy and goals.
- Demonstrated HR knowledge and experience in a manufacturing, operations, or engineering environment strongly preferred.
- Ability to move about campus and FO buildings including local travel.
- Experience with Union environment strongly preferred.
- Must be flexible to support a 24/7 operation as needed.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment.
- Proficiency with Excel Data organization and reporting, as well as other MS Office products and HRIS. Peoplesoft experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills to interact with all levels of a diverse organization.
- Ability to analyze and resolve a wide variety of complex issues or problems.
- Demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Strong organizational and multitasking capabilities.
- Strong analytical skills when working with HR data to recognize trends, issues, and opportunities.
Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate in this role the following organizational competencies, but not limited to:
- Creative Problem Solving: The ability to define problems, analyze causes, identify and select solutions, and develop and facilitate action plans. Generate new ideas and go beyond the status quo.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change: The ability to understand and accept the need for change, cooperating in implementation, and constructively voicing concerns and proposing alternatives. The ability to plan, implement, and communicate effective change approaches within established and changing deadlines.
- Building Relationships/ Interpersonal Skills: The ability to value organizational diversity; treat others with respect; promote cooperation; and effectively manage relationships
- Leadership/Achievement Orientation: The ability to influence others to accomplish the mission in ways consistent with the values of the organization; the ability to hold self (and others) accountable to meet goals and objectives; accomplish desired outcomes; and set an example of integrity and ethics through demonstrated performance
- Communication: The ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably, and effectively both verbally and in writing to individuals and groups, varying style to fit the audience, actively communicating with those with differing opinions and differing levels of understanding.
- Master's degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of Union experience strongly preferred
- PHR, SPHR, and/or CCP certification preferred.
- PeopleSoft or other HRIS experience preferred.
- Project management skills preferred.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.