We are looking for a highly motivated research technician to join a laboratory in the Department of Pediatrics. Research projects in the lab focus on obesity, adipose tissue biology and the mechanisms of obesity-induced inflammation. Our research focuses on how obesity-induced inflammation relates to human disease. The following responsibilities and techniques will be expected:
- Management of mouse colonies
- Handling and performing metabolic assessments on mice
- Prepare mouse tissue for analysis
- RNA isolation, RT-PCR, genotyping, tissue culture, microscopy
- Immunohistochemistry and flow cytometry
- Data/sample collection, processing, organization/maintenance of data entry, and analysis
- Perform general laboratory duties; dishwashing, labeling tubes, preparation of solutions
- Other research duties as assigned
DEPARTMENT MINIMUM QUALIFICATION:
- Bachelor's degree in biological/animal science, microbiology, health or related field of study.
- Ability to prioritize, pay close attention to detail, follow through with tasks, and work as a part of a team of professionals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to observe and maintain data confidentiality.
UNIVERSITY MINIIMUM QUALIFICATION:
Requires the academic knowledge of a health science discipline such as molecular biology and biochemistry, plus the ability to translate, adapt and apply this knowledge that is generally associated with a Bachelor's degree, supplemented by one or more years of progressively responsible experience in the conduct of health science research or an equivalent combination of health science education and experience.
- Completion of basic lab safety and animal training.
- Previous mouse handling experience.
- Experience with Microbiology/Molecular biology and/or physiology research methods.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.