- Provide excellent customer service and communication including information about financials, billing, services, events, facilities and availability.
- Perform duties necessary for preparing event financial billing, invoices, statements, vouchers for payment and analytical reporting for room rentals and catering services for University Unions & Events and train/back up UM-Dearborn Athletics.
- Must possess experience posting University of Michigan service unit billings and journal/voucher entries within University of Michigan accounting systems, reconciling accounts, and checking SUB and external invoices for accuracy.
- Create, log and distribute event documents including agendas, memos, maps, diagrams, and other informational materials, with accuracy being key.
- Schedule meetings and conference rooms, prepare meeting agendas, and compile meeting minutes.
- Maintain event, client and financial histories.
- Verify, sort, post and check claims, bills, invoices, and vouchers.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of invoices for room rentals, facility fees and food services.
- Reconcile bills, checking balances, following up on billing discrepancies, and maintaining files.
- Engage guests via phone, email and web, providing accurate requested information
- Effectively and efficiently communicate comprehensive event and billing details to customers and service delivery teams.
- Participate in and chronicle Conference Services/Audio Visual/Catering planning meetings as well as other meetings as needed.
- Establish and maintain a cooperative communication relationship with sole-source contracted catering provider.
- Manage department-specific event databases for tracking event and financial activities, including input of guest information, management of multiple guest lists, and production and distribution of detailed reports.
- Perform office and clerical functions for large scale hospitality/student service.
- Organize and maintain office schedule for unit director.
- Create and post digital and directional signage as needed.
- Administer web-based customer satisfaction surveys.
- Prepare printed items for events and guests as required.
- Provide on-site staffing for events as requested.
- Know, support and promote the University of Michigan-Dearborn mission.
- Demonstrate significant familiarity with University of Michigan-Dearborn policies and procedures.
- Know, support and adhere to all University Unions & Events policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned by unit director.
- Flexible scheduling and/or overtime may be required for this position and may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Overtime hours are not guaranteed and flexibility required from candidate will vary based on the schedule of events.
- A high school education or equivalent.
- 2+ year’s experience in hospitality accounting, event planning for university-based and athletic-related events: conferences, meetings, workshops and programs; athletic camps, events and programs.
- Proven success in team-based work environment is essential.
- Proven excellent interpersonal and customer service skills when interacting with clients, students, faculty and staff.
- Proven leadership experience in event accounting and office management.
- Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
- Superior proofreading ability and written and oral communications skills are required.
- Extensive knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software, including MS Visio.
- Experience gathering and disseminating information through various methods, including telephone, email, web, and in-person.
- Must be able to work flexible schedule as required.
- Ability to work with multiple customer service groups and multi-task on projects, as well as capability of working independently and without direction.
- Demonstrated record of delivering efficiency in hospitality business accounting practices.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to be accurate and timely.
- Must demonstrate successful finance, accounting, and accounts payable experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with student employees imparting experiential learning and life-long business skills.
- Specific experience with Dale Evans (EMS) event management software for scheduling and invoicing.
- Must possess experience with University of Michigan operational and management systems, especially M-Pathways
This is a 40-hour per week position.
Standard schedule: M-F 8:30 AM-5:00 PM. Flexibility required, nights and weekends as needed.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.