Appointment: 40 hours/week
Shift/Hours/Days: Monday thru Friday, 7:00 am to 6:00 pm hours will vary
Location: Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes (MEND) Clinic at Domino's Farms
BASIC FUNCTION: Assist in the delivery of patient care in a busy outpatient specialty clinical office setting.
Assist with prescription refills. Assist with various procedures (i.e. wound care, etc.). Assisting patients with mobility restrictions, e.g. getting out of wheelchair on to exam table. Assists with telephone triage. Basic clerical tasks that require proper telephone technique, basic typing, computer and data entry skills. Basic medical assistant competencies (EKG, medical history, vital signs etc.). Clean and stock exam rooms. Injections, vaccinations and specimen collection and processing. Maintain supplies. Obtain insurance authorizations. Patient flow. Provide patient with appropriate educational/preparation information for procedures. Retrieve laboratory reports. Work directly with physicians and nurses regarding patient concerns/issues/questions.
Work in MiChart (notes, update patient medication lists).
Adheres to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility and consistently shares information and resources with others. Documented history of excellent attendance and punctuality. Effective time management skills/consistently uses available time effectively. Excellent customer service skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (e.g. ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues). May be required to cross cover other areas. May be required to work overtime. Strong attention to detail. Works well with minimal supervision.
- Ability to pass customer service and medical terminology quizzes.
- Ability to spell correctly and use proper grammar.
- Able to work in a fast paced customer friendly environment.
- Graduation from medical assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) credential.
- May be required to cross cover other areas. May be required to work overtime.
- Previous experience in: ambulatory care clinical setting.
- Certification as a medical assistant.
- Clinical data entry.
- Lab monitoring programs.
- Knowledge of University and Department of Internal Medicine policies and procedures.
- Previous experience with endocrine, obesity, bariatric, and/or podiatric patients/diagnoses.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.