This technical position provides patient care and support to the adult hemodialysis patients according to established protocol. It is expected that this position maintains clinical expertise within our unique patient population. This position will need to work collaboratively with other health care team members.
- General supervision is received from the Nurse Manager and Medical Director of the Hemodialysis unit.
- Supervision is received from a Registered Nurse or physician.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Initiate, monitor and terminate outpatient hemodialysis treatments according to established protocols.
- Observe and accurately document care provided within unit guidelines for assigned patients.
- Prepare dialysis machine according to dialysis prescription.
- Ensure dialysis equipment is sterile through disinfection of dialysis equipment.
- Assist in stocking of medical supplies for the dialysis unit.
- Mixing of acid and bicarbonate solutions for dialysis circuits
- Troubleshoots alarm conditions.
- Collect, spin and package lab specimens as required for lab testing.
- Communicate with appropriated nurse, physician, or Physician Assistant as patient condition warrants.
- Maintain and protect patient confidentiality.
- Interact with peers, patients, family and interdisciplinary team members.
- Minimum 6 months of hemodialysis experience required.
- BONENT or CCHT certification required.
- Demonstrated effective communication and problem solving skills.
- BCLS certification.
- Ability to perform in a fast paced 1-4 staff patient ratio as evidenced by performance reviews and reference checks.
- This position requires moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring of patients.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs to perform transfer of medical supplies and patients as necessary.
- 2 years of previous hemodialysis experience.
- Familiarity with monitoring cardiac arrhythmia's and hemodynamic pressures.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job opening may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.