- Administratively manages APP staff and operations and develops and administers policies and procedures.
- Responsible for operational and tactical planning, contributing to strategic plans, assessing related processes, implementing techniques to promote and improve the quality and continuity of patient care and evaluating aggregate data for the purpose of assessment.
- Develop and administer a strategic plan to manage APP activity.
- Ensure that appropriate personnel are in place by developing and managing a staffing plan for the APP team.
- Develop and monitor staff compliance with education and training requirements.
- Review and assess clinical needs and, as required, proposes restructuring or creation of clinical services in both the planning and budgeting processes.
- Review billing activity of APPs for the purposes of compliance, distribution of effort and in comparison to budgeted activity.
- Ensure APPs function in accordance with federal and state regulatory standards and institutional policies and procedures.
- Ensure appropriate goal alignment of APPs within the team, service and department.
- Facilitate open channels of communication with members of the section/department faculty and administration by acting as a liaison among staff.
- Schedule staff. Coordinate work for APPs in section/department including training and orientation. Resolve scheduling and possible cross coverage issues as they arise with individual APP's. Maintain a central schedule resource that includes paid time off and CME.
- Plan, review, and manage the administrative and operational activities of the section/department APP's related to productivity, quality assurance and regulatory compliance.
- Direct the recruiting, interview, selection and orientation process for section/department APP positions.
- Develop/revise job descriptions for APP's within the section/department.
- Conduct performance evaluation of APP's, coach and mentor APP's with respect to opportunities for performance and professional growth. This includes distribution and collection of 360-degree feedback from faculty & APPs, individual chart reviews as required for ongoing professional evaluation or focused professional evaluation.
- Provide oversight for credentialing and privileging process including selection of privileges appropriate to role and competency assessment including logging of minimum procedures required for APP privileges.
- Provide feedback to the assigned physician(s) regarding performance issues as may apply to the APP individuals or team.
- Conduct review of Section/department operational and process issues as the impact/affect APPs.
- Coordinate the development of section/department policies and procedures for APP’s.
- Plan and direct educational activities for APP's within the section/department.
- Facilitate and conduct planning, coordinating and evaluating section/department quality assurance and patient safety activities as they relate to APP's.
- Participate as clinical leader on the management team for designated section/department. Meet regularly with Section/department administration to determine the need for any position or department-specific or competency-based education or assessment of APPs, in addition to the required UMHS annual mandatories. If specific needs are determined, work with section/department administration to define and implement those assessments.
- Participate in and encourage activities among APPs to promote continued learning and professional growth.
- Act as central oversight for CME policy including review and approval of CME related expenses consistent with the policy within the section/department.
- Identify opportunities and facilitate APP student experiences within section/department.
- Attend continuing education offerings and staff development programs, review literature, and collaborate with other professionals.
- Develop own performance plan consistent with the goals of the position. Evaluate own performance periodically with assigned physician Provider.
- Provide direct patient care for a percentage of appointment appropriate for the team and approved by the section/department.
- Approve time reporting/payroll for APP within the division.
- Five years APP NICU clinical experience.
- Three years’ supervisory experience that can be NP lead experience.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Have in-depth knowledge of Advanced Practice Nurse and Physician Assistant work, state and federal regulations, and credentialing.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as a Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.