Specimen Processing Area Skills:
- Understand and perform procedures for appropriate processing of microbiologic specimens.
- Answer phone calls: retrieve voice mail messages, give accurate and appropriate information concerning specimen requirements and transport, answer questions, direct complex issues to the appropriate technologist or administrator, take messages and document staff call ins.
- Clarify orders with Clinician/Nurse/Clinic medical staff when necessary.
- Follow all laboratory safety procedures for the handling and disposal of biological specimens and biohazardous waste.
- Receive and plate specimens in Soft Lab – MIC LIS; checking specimen for mislabel, acceptable source and transport type. Accurately label appropriate media for specimen set ups. Set up specimens using sterile technique in Biological safety cabinet and incubate plates according to laboratory procedure.
- Perform rapid antigen tests per laboratory procedures. Perform and record quality control.
- Stock media, store specimens, clean and disinfect work areas as needed and at least once per shift.
AFB/OPE Processing Area Skills:
- Check in specimens, label tubes and slides.
- Process OPE specimens and make smears according to laboratory procedures.
- Prepare Trichrome stain; stain OPE smears according to laboratory procedure.
- Process and inoculate specimens for acid fast culture, including special handling and re-decontamination.
- Load culture bottles and stain AFB smears according to laboratory procedure.
- Clean and disinfect area.
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Compliance with UMHS attendance policies and best practice protocols
- Confidential information must be protected, safety standards upheld, and working for our patients’ best interest is essential.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree desired
- Studies centered biological sciences preferred
- Certification as MLT, PBT, MLA desired
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.