The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department- Occupational and Physical Therapy Division is looking for a Patient Service Associate – Insurance Referral Coordinator. This position is integral to the daily operations of the Occupational and Physical Therapy Care Teams. The primary responsibilities are to handle Commercial and other third party payer(s) authorizations for patient services, follow up and communication with issues on coverage with team and supervisor.
- Primary duties include authorization submission, error correction and insurance submission knowledge and rules for securing authorizations.
- Initiate and complete referral shells in MiChart within prescribed guidelines; screening for accuracy, completeness and conformity to required standards.
- Investigate discrepancies; take appropriate corrective action when necessary ensuring compliance with patient insurance policies.
- Submit outpatient insurance information corrections when registration information results in not correct.
- Verify and update patient demographic and financial information as needed.
- Complete forms and submission for continued care to ensure patients have seamless continued care.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3-4 years of progressively complex billing & third party payer experience.
- Proficiency in use of computers and software, including Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrates ability to handle multiple items simultaneously and produce high-quality work in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a team environment, and to build trust in the working relationships with other staff.
- Demonstrates ability to learn and work independently.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Prior experience performing complex scheduling.
- Familiarity with obtaining medical records or professional medical billing.
- Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Insurance knowledge, Insurance Portal and MiChart Process for securing authorizations
- Knowledge of University of Michigan and UMHS policies and procedures.
Monday-Friday 8:00 to 4:30 (this is negotiable)
325 Eisenhower Pkwy Burlington Building
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.