This is an hourly position for current/incoming UM-Dearborn students (work-study preferred).
As a part of the University Unions & Events (UUE) team, the Student Operations Team serve as building leaders by offering front line customer service and behind-the-scenes support to many campus events. By providing accurate and attractive room set-ups, tear-downs and functioning A/V equipment in UUE facilities, this team ensures successful events and meetings on campus. The UUE Student Operations Team helps to ensure positive experiences and a sense of community throughout the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Ambassadors are also responsible for providing many other services throughout the buildings, some of which are listed below.
We are looking for student leaders who are interested in helping to develop a student and guest focused community at UM-Dearborn. The University Unions & Events team presents a unique opportunity for students to serve in a student management capacity in the buildings and on campus, and we are seeking applications from students who can contribute successfully and positively to our community.
- Open and close meeting rooms, event spaces, and maintain building security cooperatively with Public Safety.
- Perform room set-ups and take-downs for events and programs including tables, linens, chairs, podiums, coat racks, staging, and other furnishings (repeated heavy lifting required).
- Set-up and troubleshoot with audio-visual equipment (projectors, laptops, sound cords, VGA cords, microphones, speakers, etc). Specific training will be provided.
- Represent the University of Michigan-Dearborn in a professional and courteous manner, providing a positive experience throughout the University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- Respond quickly and appropriately to guest requests, complaints, and inquiries.
- Attend scheduled staff or other assigned meetings.
- Keep precise records of all transactions and situations.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Ensure guest, customer, staff, and building safety, security, and cleanliness.
- Act in accordance with, and enforce, all University and department policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and the UUE Building Managers.
Current degree-seeking student enrolled at UM-Dearborn, at least part-time
Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and must maintain GPA during employment
Lack of judicial or honors offenses
Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and interpersonal)
Knowledge of University of Michigan-Dearborn and surrounding community
Possess good organizational skills, initiative, attention to detail, and positive attitude
Desire to assist others and provide excellent customer service as an individual and as part of a team
Demonstrate professional etiquette in person and on the phone in all interactions
Able to make sound decisions
Able to lift/move 50 lbs. or more repeatedly
Able to work flexible schedule. Shifts vary: days, nights, weekends.
Able to work for an entire semester; prefer commitment of atleast two semesters