How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
**This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a comprehensive background investigation**
The Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) departments of University Security Services (USS), Emergency Management and Communications and Technology are seeking an Administrative Assistant who will support their respective department directors.
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the three department directors and their staff. Duties performed may include but are not limited to confidential secretarial and administrative duties requiring the ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment. The Administrative Assistant schedules and maintains calendar of appointments and meetings; prepares correspondence, memoranda, reports, etc.; triages phone calls; tracks projects and ensures completion of action items; maintains confidential files and drafts; edits and proofreads reports. The Administrative Assistant must be willing and capable of covering for the Executive Director’s executive assistant as needed.
The Administrative Assistant must possess a positive attitude, keen attention to detail, a demonstrated work history of excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, decision making, and problem solving skills, along with the ability to proactively anticipate needs and concerns; and work collaboratively with other DPSS divisional representatives.
- High school diploma
- At least four years of progressively responsible management support experience
- Ability to effectively listen and communicate confidentially with leadership team members and other high level administrators, as well as internal and external community members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Capability to multitask and prioritize assignments and deadlines
- Ability to take direction from multiple managers
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced safety and security environment, where confidentiality and proactivity are critical
- Proficient in MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in using Google calendar features
- Associate degree or higher along with prior executive level support experience
- Familiarity with and passion for a safety and security environment
- Familiarity with a union environment
- Demonstrated project management skills and techniques
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.