How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Technical Communication Program at the University of Michigan College of Engineering seeks skilled and enthusiastic applicants for the position of Lecturer I. The College of Engineering is committed to the academic excellence of its student body, with special emphasis on the ability of graduates to express themselves and their ideas in a professional and highly successful manner. As such, the Technical Communication Program plays a significant role in the delivery of a communication curriculum across the college, with special focus in the first year courses, laboratories and capstone designs. Technical Communication faculty deliver communication instruction in the context of engineering content and engineering project work and integrate technical communication, teamwork, and ethics within the engineering curricula.
Responsibilities of the Lecturer I include, but are not limited to:
- Team teaching with engineering faculty and technical communication faculty in undergraduate courses
- Teaching communication in context of engineering content and engineering project work by student teams
- Designing, preparing and delivering lectures in technical communication
- Attending lectures and weekly team meetings of teaching team
- Holding office hours
- Evaluating and grading student projects, student papers, and oral presentations
- Leading discussion and critique sessions
- Conducting workshop exercises
- Academic degree in technical communication or in an allied field and/or significant relevant training and experience in technical communication or related field
- Excellence in written and oral English
- Significant training and experience in the teaching of writing
- Skill and experience in various technical communication genres
- Successful teaching experience
- Ability to work effectively with students singly and in engineering project teams
- Experience with scientific/engineering content
- Academic degree in technical communication or in an allied field, PhD preferred
- Industrial experience in technical communication or related field
- Leadership in a multi-disciplinary team-based environment
- Experience with Engineering and/or Computer Science
Appointment Begin Date: Fall Term 2017; some course preparation work may be required prior to appointment start.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Lecturer's Employee Organization, AFL-CIO, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
For questions, please contact Mary Gilbert at 734-764-1427 or email@example.com.
LEO Job openings are posted for a minimum of ten calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.