How to Apply
Ypsilanti Health Center (YHC) is seeking qualified medical assistants to provide support assisting in the delivery of direct patient care and support of operational functions. Patient intake, rooming, performing ear irrigations, suture/ staple removal, urine drug screens, EKGs, casting/ splinting, ankle taping, and support to our nurses and clinicians within a busy college health environment. Ordering and maintaining inventory. This position will need to be flexible to accommodate changes in nursing models of care and implementation of the medical home including cross training between the multiple areas in YHC including Family Medicine and Pediatrics.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
1. Assist in the delivery of direct care and support operational functions.
2. To provide intake and documentation according to unit guidelines/protocols.
3. Rooming patients according to unit guidelines/protocols.
4. Perform ear irrigations, suture/staple removal, EKGs, casting/splinting, ankle taping.
5. Vitals with annual examinations and diagnostic/therapeutic treatments including assisting with procedures.
6. Provide routine patient prep instructions for procedures.
7. Observe patient status, report changes, and document accordingly.
8. Quality control / assurance for CLIA waved testing.
9. Provide return to school excuses.
10. Communicates necessary information to determine nursing care and discharge planning.
11. Instruct patients and families according to a teaching plan established by a provider.
12. Refills medications according to clinic guidelines/protocols.
13. Open and close the clinic according to guidelines.
14. Problem solves patient flow issues.
15. Stringent use of infection control guidelines for patient rooms and equipment.
16. Maintain (by internal ordering) and stock inventory for linen, laboratory and general room supplies.
17. Disinfecting and maintaining medical equipment.
18. High level disinfection and autoclaving for equipment.
19. Provide orthopedic care under supervision of a registered nurse.
20. Give injections.
21. Participates in QI activities.
22. Various other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a certified Medical Assistant Program with Medical Assistant Certification.
- Previous experience as an MA or a health related assistant.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, busy environment.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction from multiple disciplines.
- Candidate must have flexibility to work between dual areas.
- Demonstrate professional communication with patients, families and other members of the healthcare team is required.
- High school diploma or GED
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team
- Communicate effectively
- Demonstarate active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Previous experience with MiChart experience preferred.
- Recent ambulatory care experience within the last 2 to 3 years.
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual skills a plus
- Experience working within a large complex health care setting
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures
This is a 40 hour/week position with a set schedule from 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM during the work week, rotating Saturday mornings from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Flexibility with work hours and work assignments is essential.
University of Michigan
Ypsilanti Health Center
200 Arnet Street, Suite 200
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.