We, the staff and faculty of the Frankel Cardiovascular Center (FCVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence.
Each FCVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The FCVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care.
Excellent service is an expected and integeral part of the FCVC culture. To be considered for this position, a cover letter is required and sould be attached as the first page with your resume. The cover letter should address each of the following points in about 50 words or less:
- Describe your background and qualifications and why you believe you would be a good fit for this position at the FCVC.
- Outline your service excellence skills and experiences which would be applicable to this position.
- In your most recent position, how was service excellence emphasized?
- Describe a situation in which a customer or colleague was upset and the steps you look to resolve the issue to reasonable conclusion.
Purpose of Position:
Coordinate the authorization process for outpatient procedures / surgeries and other devices requiring authorizations in the multidisciplinary and Vascular Surgery clinics in the FCVC clinic; facilitate communication between patients / families and members of the care team on status of authorizations. Serve as expert in inquiries from patients, providers and staff. Work in collaboration with our patient financial counselor as required to expedite patient services.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtain authorizations, pre-certifications and benefit level verification for outpatient procedures / surgeries and other devices in the Multidisciplinary and Vascular Surgery clinics.
- Serve as liaison between patients/ families and the care team in the approval process.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills with all communications including those with patients/ families, physicians and staff.
- Evaluate and process authorization requests, to include communication with patients and insurance plan, and obtain authorization decisions.
- Serve as resource for physicians and other staff, patients and outside third parties for managed care authorizations and other managed care related contract issues.
- Maintain authorization files for the FCVC Clinic including data entry of referrals and monitor work lists.
- Respond to patient and family phone calls related to authorization concerns.
- Facilitate scheduling of specialty services and schedule appointments as necessary.
- Direct patients to insurance carrier to address coverage and benefit questions related to appeals, when appropriate.
- Personal interaction involved obtaining and providing sensitive and confidential information and evaluating and responding to concerns, questions, and complaints from patients experiencing confusion and stress due to illnessServe as liaison between patients/ families and the care team in the approval process.
Supervision Received: General supervision is received from the FCVC Call Center Manager. Staff members in this classification are expected to exercise judgment in identifying problems, seeking and implementing solutions.
Supervison Exercised: None.
- High School diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- 3-4 years of experience.
- Previous experience in referral/ authorization management and/or clinic clerical experience at UMHS.
- This position requires excellent customer service skills.
- Energetic individual, motivated with a positive and professional attitude.
- Must be a team player with ability to take direction and communicate with peers and patients courteously and respectfully at all times.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a high volume area is necessary.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be very comfortable working with computers and have a general knowledge of office practices.
- Requires flexibility in all aspects of work assignments.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Prior experience performing complex scheduling.
- Familiarity with obtaining medical records or professional medical billing.
- Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Experience in a hospital business office, insurance office, physicians private practice or related setting is necessary.
- Reasonable knowledge of hospital and departmental policies, procedures and regulations is desirable.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity working with Michigan Medicine electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
Shift/Days: 8:30-5:00, Monday-Wednesday-Friday
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contigent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance witht he Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research technology development and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical componets, patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.