How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Michigan Data Collaborative (MDC) is a data collection, enrichment, and provisioning group in the Health Information Technology Services (HITS) organization at the University of Michigan. We support care delivery transformation initiatives across the state, with goals to achieve improvements in population health, enhancements to patient experience and care delivery, and reductions in overall healthcare costs.
Analysis: The Business Systems Analyst will perform data analysis and problem solving in a complex healthcare environment using clinical and administrative (claims) data to deliver healthcare information and consulting services to care delivery organizations (such as physician organizations). An important part of this work will be the development of tools that quantitatively describe how a PCP practice refers patients to various specialty practices, analyzes the quality and efficiency of the specialist practices they use and identify opportunities to optimize their referrals within local markets. In particular, the development of a specialist-patient attribution methodology that reflects specialist variation and enables proper allocation of cost and care responsibilities among multiple physicians caring for one patient. Equally critical focus for the expanded analytic support is to develop a simplified mechanism for reporting clinical quality data. The candidate should be familiar with measure sets such as HEDIS, STARS, MIPS and QRS. BCBSM PGIP participants will need analytic support to improve their performance and this position will oversee and design analytical paths to achieve success.
Requirements Gathering: Interact with customers (such as analysts, physicians, care managers, staff at all levels of physician organizations, etc.) to understand and define their information requirements and to create deliverables to meet those requirements. Consult with provider organizations to determine their informational needs, and partner with technical teams to meet them. Lead and oversee the technical as well as business requirements of creating the claims database.
Development: Collaborate with team members to develop appropriate measures specifications and report designs. Assist with defining best methods to collect, store, retrieve, and analyze data while translating business requirements into technical specification documents. Work with data architects to develop data model(s) which support the analytic requirements. Participate in data investigation and analysis with the goal of designing mapping logic between source systems. Develop programming scripts to test and understand the data and respond to questions on content and use of the data, as needed.
Communication: Communicate status of work to leadership, team members, and customers. Contribute knowledge of the healthcare industry, including knowledge of healthcare data and common issues, to team and customers. Participate in strategic planning for projects and research, and design and review technical solutions for new development and ongoing work.
Process Development: Investigate and document project scope and requirements. Review, understand, and document the current operational processes and data sources to establish support for current and future reporting capabilities. The lead will be responsible for creating the project plan to support the accomplishment of the deliverables named in the work plan and contract between BCBSM and the Michigan Data Collaborative.
- Bachelor's degree in Public Health or Health Informatics or equivalent degree in another field together with related experience.
- Applicants MUST have 5+ years of experience in the healthcare industry, preferably in the state of Michigan, with either Payer or Provider organizations, or consulting organizations working with Payers and/or Providers. Applicants MUST have experience working with data, defining data mapping, and analyzing healthcare data.
- Three plus years of experience in requirements gathering and data analysis
- Three plus years of experience resolving complex integration issues involving multiple technologies and business areas
- Three plus years of experience in technical query writing and data integration skills using SQL
- Five plus years of Healthcare/Research industry experience
- Experience with the Health Information Exchange environment of the State of Michigan.
- Demonstrated report design and development skills.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis methods including benchmarking, risk adjustment, confidence intervals, trend analysis. Familiarity with analytic tools, business intelligence tools, and statistical packages. Knowledge of administrative datasets; experience with Blue Cross Claims a plus.
- Experience in implementing healthcare solutions.
- Familiarity with HIPAA and other healthcare information regulations and requirements. Familiarity with CMS measure sets and implementing quality assurance for health care data.
- Experience with understanding and documenting workflows and clinical processes, as well as creating data-driven solutions to support these processes.
- Solid and effective written, interpersonal, oral communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent analytic and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to work effectively on a team.
- Willingness and strong aptitude to learn new technologies and assume increasing responsibilities.
- Ability to work in a dynamic development environment and adjust to changing priorities, processes, and project plans.
- Knowledge of chronic disease definitions and research.
- Knowledge of population management, evidence-based care reporting, healthcare cost and utilization reporting, and patient centered medical home concepts.
- Knowledge of federal measure reporting environment including MACRA and MIPS
- Understanding of various data model types (relational, dimensional, etc).
- Experience working with BI tools and reporting packages such as Oracle Business Intelligence, Tableau, Power BI.
- Knowledge of the UM computing and security environment.
- Ability to plan and facilitate meetings with diverse participants.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.