Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Office of Student Services (OSS) seeks a FINANCIAL AID, ADMISSIONS, AND STUDENT SERVICES OFFICER to assist in implementing evaluations of core admissions, recruitment, financial aid, and student services functions, and support the admissions and recruitment team in work related to financial aid reviews, student financial counseling, recruitment, and student services for the Masters in Social Work (MSW) degree program.
The successful candidate will work as a member of a high functioning unit with a myriad of interactions across administrative units and student organizations within the School of Social Work including the Dean’s Office, Associate Deans’ Offices, MSW Program Director’s Office, the SSW Career Center, Office of Field Instruction and the Student Advisory Board. Candidate will work closely with students in the program to ensure they have access to all available resources needed to succeed in the program.
1. Assist in the implementation of systems to evaluate the effectiveness of office functions related to recruitment, financial aid, admissions and student services. Skills in use of management information systems (e.g., FileMaker) and developing reports from data collected will be important.
2. Assist in the development and use of a range of social media advertising and other web-based recruitment strategies. Skills in the use of social media to enhance recruitment efforts and communications with students would be important.
3. Provide financial counseling for students regarding:
- Loan forgiveness
- Controlling spending
- Post-program financial information
4. Provide financial aid services:
- Assist with financial aid reviews for incoming and continuing MSW students for need scholarships, merit based scholarships, and donor scholarships
- Assist in the analysis of the effectiveness of financial aid model and develop recommendations for improvement
5. Provide recruitment services as a member of the team:
- Recruit for the MSW program including in-person meetings, state and national travel to college campuses and professional conferences, informational presentations, webinars and email outreach
- Meet individually with prospective and admitted students
- Assist with prospective student webinars
6. Provide admissions services including:
- Evaluate applications for admission
- Assist with pre-admission interviews
7. Assist with student services activities:
- Assist in the analysis of the effectiveness of student services programming support and develop recommendations for improvement
- Assist when needed with health and wellness activities for students
- Assist when needed with student organization support
- Provide back-up crisis intervention for students
1. Master’s in Social Work degree.
2. Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
3. Ability to work independently and as part of a team, excellent problem-solving abilities, ability to understand and improve upon complex processes, strong attention to detail, and ability to coordinate multiple projects.
4. Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential materials and situations.
5. Experience in use of management information systems, social media advertising for recruitment efforts, and implementing program evaluation activities.
6. Ability to travel for recruitment.
1. Demonstrated ability to use management information systems (e.g. FileMaker), and assist in the development and evaluation of the effectiveness of recruitment, admissions, financial aid and student services programming.
2. Proficiency with a range of information technology applications.
3. Previous experience in academic advising, admissions, student services, financial counseling and financial aid counseling.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.