Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Market Title: Marketing Communications Specialist (100486)
Working Title: Event Design and Project Management Specialist
University and Development Events
Office of University Development
Reports to: Assistant Director, Events Management and Operations
Office of University and Development Events
Supervises directly: N/A
Position summary: The Event Design and Project Management Specialist will be responsible for recommending, managing, and coordinating University and Development Events’ marketing and communication strategies, including print and electronic invitation packages, programs, scripts, website content, social media marketing efforts, and other event collateral materials (signs, mementos, name tag stock, etc.). This person will participate on event planning teams and will work in close partnership with the Office of University Development’s Marketing and Annual Giving and Development Services teams. This position will oversee all vendor management throughout the production process, including drafting text, creative design, extensive proofreading, print production, and distribution. This staff person will serve as the project manager for all event design materials in a fast paced work environment with tight deadlines.
60% Event Design Development:
• Collaborate with colleagues from Development Marketing and Annual Giving, Development Services, university communications and marketing teams, and external vendors to oversee the design and text for all print and electronic invitation packages (invitations, response card, maps, confirmations, etc.).
• Identify, select, and collaborate with external vendors to produce marketing and other materials designed within the UDE team (Ceremonial, Presidential, and Development events).
• Collaborate with event teams to create and produce collateral materials to support event goals (signage, give-aways, posters, name tag designs, etc.).
• Creation and maintenance of event websites; coordination of content for event websites created by others/vendors.
• Proofing of printed materials (programs, citations, invitations, confirmations, website content, registration forms, etc.)
• Lead UDE’s social media efforts.
25% Project Management:
• Manage event design project load to ensure UDE team is meeting planning deadlines/milestones and remaining on budget.
• Coordinate routing and review of any event design materials within the UDE team.
• Participate on event planning teams to contribute to and support the development of internal and external design plans in support of event goals.
• Provide on-site staffing for events as requested
• Assign tasks and supervise any potential event design part-time positions, temporary positions, or student workers.
• Special projects as assigned
• Overtime necessary to include early mornings, evenings, and weekends, some holidays.
• Travel may be required and may occur any time of the year, including holidays.
• A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum four years creative design, graphic design, and/or marketing experience.
• Collaborative and team approach to work.
• Creative design experience (portfolio of examples appreciated)
• Independence, initiative, and judgment skills are necessary for the successful execution of duties.
• Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
• Superior proofreading ability and communication skills are required.
• Solid knowledge and experience using Adobe Photoshop, web design software, and html.
• Familiarity with the University of Michigan organization, policies, and procedures
• Value the importance of building relationships with our constituents (students, parents, donors, and alumni)
• Passion for providing exceptional customer service
• Previous professional events experience (ie., planning, staffing, assisting)
• Exposure to U-M’s systems – DART, Business Objects, etc.
• Familiarity with teamwork.com, formstack.com, paperlesspost.com, Cvent, and/or zkipster.com
• Volunteer experience in a non-profit setting
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
Office of University Development Mission Statement:
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
Office of University and Development Events Mission Statement:
The Office of University and Development Events creates meaningful experiences for donors, alumni, faculty, staff, and students that celebrate their accomplishments and enhance their relationships with the University of Michigan.
Our goal is to craft welcoming, educational, stimulating and memorable environments for our guests. The emotional impact of their experiences inspires stronger unity, pride and support for the University.
• We give our undivided attention to every detail and provide service of the highest quality, offering our guests experiences that exceed their expectations while upholding the principles of fiscal responsibility.
• We work together as a dedicated team with common goals. We value, we support and we respect our team, our colleagues and the mission of the University.
• All that we do upholds the integrity of the University.
Office of University and Development Events – Operating Principles:
Respect -We are professionals who respect each other’s work styles and individual priorities, both personally and professionally. Our individual contributions are embraced by each member of our team. Responsibility - We are responsible stewards of our resources; consciously holding ourselves fiscally and environmentally accountable to the mission of the University. Collaboration - We are committed to sharing knowledge and best practices through a variety of methods. We proactively include team members and stakeholders in the planning process. We recognize that relying on each other for assistance is not only vital to our own success, but that of our team. Communication - We communicate openly throughout our department, where we are constructive and approachable. We deliberately and mindfully share information among the team. Development and Growth - We energetically seek and support the development of ourselves and our team by collecting and offering honest feedback, challenging ourselves with new learning opportunities, and pursuing all that the University has to offer. Support - We work toward a common goal and encourage each other to ask for and provide support. We support each other’s daily effort to balance time and energy across goals between life and work; fostering a flexible environment that values each other’s’ perspectives and priorities. Customer Focus - We take great pride in our commitment to superior customer service and do everything within our abilities to provide each guest with an exceptional Michigan experience.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.