This position is responsible for providing physical therapy services to patients in their homes as ordered by a physician. The physical therapist practices within the scope of their license, and establishes and evaluates appropriate plans of care. The physical therapist has responsibility for a patient caseload and for communicating with other members of the interdisciplinary team, including the physician, to promote continuing coordination of the patient's services. Completes comprehensive physical therapy assessments to identify the physical therapy needs of assigned patients.
Primary Service Area: Livingston/Washtenaw Counties and surrounding areas; travel as needed within southeast Michigan.
- Assesses patients’ level of functioning and develops and updates a Plan of Care for patients in their home environment based on the initial and ongoing assessment of patient needs in compliance with all regulations, policies and procedures and within regulated time frames.
- Responsible for accurate completion of OASIS documentation.
- Determines rehab potential and provides services in consideration of professional, accreditation, regulatory, and insurance requirements.
- Provides on-going assessment of the patient's response to treatments and teaching and applies skilled interventions appropriately.
- Manages caseload effectively to attain both positive quality and financial outcomes.
- Maintains expected productivity standards.
- Consults and coordinates with other health care disciplines regarding physical therapy administered in the home, and projected treatment goals and is responsible for documenting coordination for inclusion in the medical record.
- Processes all documentation according to department schedules to ensure inclusion in the medical record within regulated time frames.
- Teaches and/or supervises family members and other caregivers in the physical therapy needs of the patient. Encourages and assists patients and caregivers to achieve their maximum degree of independence.
- Provides care based on the standard physical therapy professional guidelines and in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Supervises Physical Therapy Assistants
- Rotates schedule to weekends when necessary.
- Utilizes laptop for documentation and utilizes other technology as required by the department
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree from an approved program
- Current licensure as a Physical Therapist in the State of Michigan
- Two (2) years of recent physical therapy experience
- Possession of comprehensive physical therapy skills, including but not limited to, PT evaluation and treatment
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer skills, Microsoft Office, email and smart phones
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent verbal/written communication and customer service skills
- Ability to work autonomously in a non-structured environment
- Able to travel from patient to patient throughout the geographic service area assigned
- Home health care experience
- Direct care experience for pediatric population
- Experience with EPIC
- Master's or Doctorate degree from an accredited program
Full time day shift; rotating weekends and holidays as assigned.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.