How to Apply
A cover letter must be included as the first page of your resume in order to be considered for this position. The cover letter should be addressed to Hiring Manager, address your specific interest in the position, and highlight your skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
University of Michigan Operating Room and PACU employees are committed to contributing to an exceptional experience for each patient and family. Ensuring a patient and family centered experience according to the Health Systems Service Excellence Goals is a priority in the care of our patients. The individual chosen for this position will be responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service including exhibiting a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff.
Oversee Check In and Family Waiting areas for the UH Operating Rooms.
- Warmly meet and greet all patients and families while demonstrating service excellence during these important interactions on the patients’ day of surgery.
- Exhibit courtesy, exemplary customer service, and professionalism at all times when interacting in person or fielding and routing phone calls and other communications for patients, families, faculty, staff, etc.
- Act as patient and family advocate; contacting clinicians and others as appropriate to improve the experience. Provide way-finding, resources (security, social work, maps), and comfort to family members and other guests.
- Consistently and accurately perform clerical duties to support compassionate, efficient patient and family care.
- Use multiple software programs and other resources to confirm that patients flow through the system in a timely well-documented manner.
- Provide clerical support when needed; participate in other duties or projects as assigned.
- Identify process improvement opportunities, implement improvements and/or work with teams to implement larger initiatives. Develop Lean competencies and actively participate in Lean work processes, team huddles and continuous process improvements.
- Communicate, trouble shoot, and escalate concerns and issues.
- Understand and develop competencies related to complaint resolution and service recovery.
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, courtesy, and respect; consistently share information and resources with others.
- Assist management in the training of new team members and volunteers (including providing timely feedback) and assist in the maintenance of accurate, up-to-date training documentation and checklists.
- Work as a team member to ensure consistency and efficiency.
- Appropriately utilize computers and other University of Michigan and UMHS resources.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of respect, courtesy, and teamwork in speech, manner, and tone.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and/or previous experience in a medical setting.
- Experience in entering patient information in an electronic health information system.
- Exceptional ability to develop and maintain collaborative and collegial interactions and relationships.
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment with patients, faculty, residents and staff.
- Ability to keyboard with speed and accuracy and reasonable knowledge of business software and computer applications.
- Excellent communication, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Previous experience demonstrating excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent attendance record. Ability to prioritize assignments and workload.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback and to seek constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues.
- Prior UMHS experience.
- Experience with MiChart.
Monday through Friday, 1:15pm – 9:45pm is the normal schedule for this position. The first several weeks of training (or more, depending on training progress) will be during the day from approximately 5:30am – 2pm.
There will be trainings and meetings outside of the normal schedule. They will be announced in advance and attendance will be mandatory.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.