FTR salary range: $48-55k annually ($24,000 - $27,500 for half time)
This half-time position is Independently responsible for any departmental projects related to marketing and communications. Responsible for informing and educating faculty, staff, students, alumni and the general public outside the UM CEE Community through publications, websites, social media and mass communication. Assist Chair and Unit Admin in determining marketing and promotional needs.
Employees in this classification typically analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action and have the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of their responsibilities. Primary activities and decision making authority are predominantly performed independently affecting business operations to a substantial degree.
- Plan and coordinate both printed and digital marketing communications and materials, internal and external publications, videos, social networking, etc.
- Identify appropriate delivery methods, including presentations, targeted email, printed documents, newspaper articles, and web pages
- Design, develop and implement communications, based on organizational and user needs
- On-going responsibility for research, writing, editing and producing newsletters (paper and e-versions), videos, donation solicitations, etc. for the department
- Ensure that product bulletins, newsletters and related marketing materials are accurate, consistent in branding with the College of Engineering, and issued on a timely basis
- Solicit and evaluate feedback regarding communications and makes improvements continuously
- Develop and write print publications (i.e., newsletters, brochures, manuals, etc.) as well as electronic products (website articles, e-newsletters, websites, social media posts, etc.) including all layouts
- Coordinate and develop communications for large projects, multiple projects and projects with high visibility, such as graduate student recruiting materials, student group information and the department website
- Support the implementation of marketing strategies and assists with research and analyses
- Work closely with faculty and students to research articles, create videos, showcase curriculum and promote successes within the department
- Collaborate with staff from the College of Engineering to facilitate the creation of M-ConneX videos and promotional materials for faculty and alumni to engage alumni with the CEE community (http://www.engin.umich.edu/info/alumni/what-is-mconnex-all-about/)
- Regularly attend and actively participate in CoE Communicators meetings
- Support research proposal submissions with graphics and professional presentation of large proposals
- Support the department with presentation recommendations, critiques, and enhancements
- Revise and update student group brochures, curriculum pamphlets and recruiting materials (printed and digital) to positively promote our department
- Manage Facebook, Twitter and/or LinkedIn pages with updates regularly regarding department news and events, alumni connections, video links, etc.
- Assist in event planning as needed – promotion, advertising, photography, videography, logistics with direction from Chair’s Assistant
The successful candidate must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field
- Have 2-5 years of related experience working with publishing (professional writing or marketing communications), graphic design, video creation and/or web design
- Possess excellent communication skills, including listening and the ability to follow directions, grammar, spelling, and editing skills; absolutely must be able to write clear, concise news articles based on interviews and research regarding various topics
- Be capable of performing with a high degree of attention to detail and accuracy
- Have demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment as well as work independently with minimal supervision
- Have demonstrated ability to work in a positive manner with diverse populations of students, staff, faculty and alumni
- Possess a high level of proficiency with information technology applications including MS-Office (e.g., spreadsheets, word processing, and calendars), Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photo-shop, Illustrator) and web management tools (Drupal and HTML); absolutely must have a high level of proficiency using InDesign and will be required to bring samples of work to an interview
- Be a self-starter and demonstrate initiative
- Possess excellent organizational skills and creativity
- Have demonstrated a high level of critical thinking, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Be able to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and negotiate deadlines all while being customer-service oriente
- Learn quickly and stay calm in the face of concurrent tasks with competing deadlines
- Display excellent judgment while operating in a flexible and highly professional manner
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.