The Conference Assistant (CA) position is essential to the success of the Office of Housing and Residential Life. The Office of Housing and Residential Life staff is committed to building strong, inclusive communities within the residence hall in an effort to provide the most meaningful experience for our residents and guest. The employment site for these positions is Riverfront Residence Hall and as needed at First Street Residence Hall.
The Housing and Residential Life Staff are dedicated to:
- Effectively serving and working with students, staff and faculty of diverse backgrounds and viewpoints
- Encouraging students to take responsibility and challenge themselves to grow, and to support each other’s growth
- Providing a safe environment – one that promotes both physical and emotional well-being
- Providing linkage and access to services both within and beyond Housing and Residential Life
- Supporting the academic and educational mission of the University by providing opportunities for learning within and beyond the classroom – bringing learning into the living environment
- Working toward a common vision and aspirations for the quality of life of the residence hall community.
- Conference Assistants are directly supervised by the Assistant Director for Housing and indirectly supervised by all professional Housing and Residential Life staff members.Attend mandatory staff meetings and training
- Follow the “Resident’s Guide to Community Living at UM-Flint” and the University of Michigan Flint Students Responsibilities and Violations outlined in the “Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities”
- Wear uniform (University of Michigan apparel) while working
- Maintain and conduct yourself in a professional and respectful manner while providing great customer service
- Assist with check-in and check out procedures and keep accurate reports
- Assist with key preperations for guests and post-conference room checks, key inventory, lost and found items, document any damages or lost keys
- Setup and breakdown suites for conference groups and hall opening which may include lifting, moving items and light cleaning
- Standing for long periods of time
- Be attentive to and report all health and safety concerns in the residence hall
- Provide continuous interaction and example which encourages students to act with reason, to assume responsibility for their actions, and to be consistently considerate of the rights and freedoms of others
- Prepare guest information for each conference
- Submit and call in work orders for facilitly concerns
- Develop and promote a positive working relationship with all staff including, HRL Staff, FD Staff Members, Resident Advisors (RA), Facilities and Operations staff, etc.
- Communicate any issues involving residents, guest, and other staff members to direct and indirect supervisors immediately
- Maintain a standard of personal conduct commensurate with his/her responsibilities
- Perform the duties and meet the expectations described for their Housing and Residential Life staff position
- Perform any other duties as assigned by your supervisors
Conference Assistants are directly supervised by the Assistant Director for Housing and indirectly supervised by all professional Housing and Residential Life staff members.
- Be a full or part-time University of Michigan-Flint student
- Must live in University of Michigan-Flint Housing during employment
- You must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.25 or higher at the time of application and prior to the start of employment. A cumulative and term grade point average of 2.25 must be maintained during the period of employment. Grades will be checked each semester prior to employment and during employment.
- Must be available to work nights, early mornings, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Friendly, responsible, personable, service-oriented attitude
- Positive and professional work attitude
- Punctual and reliable
- Work as part of a team
- Be able to attend staff meetings and trainings.
Must be available to work weekdays, weekends, and holidays starting May 15, 2017-August 31, 2017. Staff may not work more than 28 hours a week.
Hourly pay rate of $8.90 per hour and will be paid bi-weekly.
Staff that live in UM-Flint Housing for Spring and Summer will recieve 50% off the cost of housing if they work a minumum of 18 hours a week.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.