How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs is seeking highly qualified candidates for a full-time assistant vice provost for academic and faculty affairs. This individual will join the faculty affairs group within the Office of the Provost in developing and strengthening policies and programs that support a diverse and excellent faculty. Responsibilities will include leading projects, conducting research, developing reports, and organizing events related to academic and faculty affairs.
The assistant vice provost will work with key stakeholders across UM to build shared goals, policies, and resources in the following areas of responsibility:
Dual career Program. Provides oversight of the dual career program within the Office of the Provost through interpretation and implementation of policies, review of funding commitments, reporting on relevant data, and supervision of the dual career coordinator.
Conflict of Interest/Commitment: Represents the Office of the Provost on the Conflict of Interest/Commitment Committee, acts as a resource for faculty and academic units in regard to reporting of conflicts.
Faculty Information: Works in collaboration with other faculty and academic affairs staff to review and communicate information important to faculty including SPGs, faculty handbook, and other materials. This position will also provide oversight of the content found in the faculty affairs section of the provost’s website.
In addition, the assistant vice provost will represent the Vice Provost, in responding to select inquiries directed to the Office of the Provost, serving on committees as assigned, and as directed by the vice provost, will provide supervision for appropriate Office of the Provost staff.
The assistant vice provost will be expected to exercise considerable autonomy and decision-making authority in areas delegated by the vice provosts.
The assistant vice provost will perform other duties as assigned.
- Education and experience in a field relevant to higher education administration, plus 10 or more years of progressive responsibility in higher education. Earned doctorate in a relevant field highly desired.
- Demonstrated success in managing complex projects with creativity and flexibility.
- Excellent communications skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including faculty, students, staff, and colleagues from a wide range of institutions
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Expertise in educational research design and assessment.
- Experience in the supervision and professional development of university staff.
- Knowledge of U-M policies, processes and systems
- Ability to work in a highly professional manner in a rapidly evolving work environment, sensitivity to confidentiality and privacy concerns and demonstrated good judgment in these areas.
Supervision: General direction is provided by the Vice Provosts for Academic and Faculty Affairs.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.