• Utilize the nursing process to facilitate patient care.
• Provide skilled observations, telephone triage and health assessments of patients including history, appropriate interventions, and referrals.
• Provide consultation and participate in problem-solving efforts with nursing staff, medical staff, social work staff, referring physicians and other disciplines.
• Maintain knowledge of all applicable regulatory laws and requirements, including HIPAA, CMS Conditions of Participation and The Joint Commission to ensure regulatory compliance in nursing practice.
• Foster continuity of care and facilitate transitions across outpatient and community settings.
? Provide follow-up on discharge planning with Continuing Care Coordinator, other multi-disciplinary staff and resources in the community.
? Provide continuity through handling of post discharge outpatient care needs prior to next visit.
? Provide instruction/reinforcement regarding self-care to increase adherence to prescribed treatment.
• Utilize various resources available within the Ambulatory Care and the Department of Internal Medicine to determine and meet the needs of the patient/family.
• Develop collaborative mechanisms with appropriate others (nurse managers, peers, etc.) for providing patient care.
• Collaborate with Nurse Manager and other health team members in providing care to patients to identify and support educational needs.
• Serve as a consultant to nursing personnel and other health care professionals caring for patients with HIV/AIDS.
• Be involved in representing the HIV/AIDS team to external agencies, associations and programs, as appropriate.
• Initiate, with the interdisciplinary team, evaluation of team process and function, as appropriate.
• Participate in the development, modification and interpretation of policies and procedures, as needed.
• Participate in area nursing staff meetings as well as other departmental meetings.
• Facilitate timely communications to interdisciplinary staff regarding patient needs/plan of care. Include referring physicians as appropriate.
• Monitor nursing care provided and utilize results of quality monitoring to initiate changes in practices, as indicated.
• Participate in continuous quality improvement by involvement in teams and by supporting changes recommended through the continuous quality improvement process.
• Participate in medical/multidisciplinary research as requested by identifying research subjects.
• Evaluate, interpret and integrate research findings into clinical practice.
• Effectively analyze and prioritize patient needs.
• Demonstrate effective time management skills.
• Demonstrates flexibility with assignments and tasks.
• Demonstrate effective delegation techniques.
• Identify opportunities to implement strategies/make recommendations for cost effective care, when appropriate.
• Demonstrate problem-solving skills as related to operational and clinical issues within the clinical area and through meeting participation and attendance.
• Assume responsibility for on-going professional development, attending appropriate continuing education, staff development programs, conferences and grand rounds as indicated.
• Maintain current knowledge of nursing and professional literature.
• Participate with nurse manager in annual evaluation of own performance.
• Assume responsibility for attendance at the hospital’s mandatory continuing education programs annually and completion of such programs on-line.