How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Shared Services Center (U-M SSC) is a customer service organization focused on providing user-friendly and cost effective administrative services to the university community. The SSC offers key financial and human resource transaction services to customers through consistent processes and enabling technology.
Reporting to the HR Group Manager, the HR Coordinator/J1 Visa Request Coordinator Supervisor actively directs all staff processing for the HR Coordinator and J1 Visa service at the Shared Services Center. The Supervisor provides visible and effective leadership to its staff in a manner that ensures operational excellence, quality customer service, unit partnership, and continuous improvement. This role directly manages two service teams comprised of 5-10 staff.
The HR Coordinator and J1 Visa Request Coordinator Supervisor is responsible for establishing the objectives to be achieved by the HR Coordinator Services Team, as well as those established for the J1 Visa Request Coordinator Service, and managing the teams’ daily operational performance. In partnership with the HR Group Manager, this individual provides direction to its staff and is expected to uphold a culture that encourages continuous improvement and professional development. The HR Coordinator/J1 Visa Request Coordinator Supervisor will regularly coach and develop his/her staff to assure a team-based and collaborative environment.
The Supervisor is expected to support SSC leadership in promoting a positive and trustworthy reputation for the SSC through consistent and efficient service. Additionally, this individual will be focused on implementing appropriate business processes and internal controls as deemed fit while operating within the SSC's governance structure.
- Ensure team compliance with employment-related laws and regulations
- Report on and analyze established metrics measuring team's progress, meeting regularly with the HR Group Manager to share findings and ensure alignment
- Develop strong partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Utilize metric data to manage staff workload, increase service and efficiency, and drive team performance
- Manage daily team workload to ensure completion of all responsibilities
- Answer employee questions and resolve escalations as they arise
- Apply LEAN principles in daily work
- Meet with the HR Coordinators and J1 Visa Request Coordinators to complete official and unofficial performance reviews
- Plan and coordinate recruiting, selection, onboarding, and integration of new team members
- Implement continuous improvement initiatives and other special projects on an ad hoc basis
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred and/or compensating experience including supervision
- 2-5 years experience in HR Administration or a closely related field
- 1-3 years supervisory experience or demonstrated high level performance at Senior Associate Level
- Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse workforce
- Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships with all stakeholders
- General knowledge of human resource processes, systems and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to enhance effectiveness and efficiency through incorporation of innovative continuous improvement practices and other initiatives
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and MPathways/PeopleSoft (or similar Enterprise
- Resource Planning (ERP) system
Organizational Core Competencies and Skills:
- Advancing the Mission - Demonstrates ability to operate effectively in a manner consistent with the University of Michigan mission and culture. Exhibits understanding of the unique issues related to higher education.
- Building Relationships/Interpersonal Skills - Values organizational diversity, treats others with respect, and promotes cooperation. Effectively manages relationships and collaborates with others at all levels throughout the University.
- Creative Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking - Develops and creates ideas, processes, and approaches focused on the future.
- Communication - Demonstrates excellent communication skills to those at all levels throughout the University. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University.
- Development of Self and Others - Seeks opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others by setting developmental goals and seeking performance feedback. Applies new skills and knowledge gained in an effort to add value to the organization.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change - Responds positively to and champions change to others.
- Leadership/Achievement Orientation - Holds self and staff accountable for meeting established objectives and successfully accomplishing desired outcomes.
- Quality Service - Strives to meet the expectations of internal and external customers, firmly establishing a service first culture. Displays solid understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment. Delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure.
- Experience in a Shared Services organization
- Experience with Visa processing
- HR management experience in a higher education setting
- Familiarity with administrative processes, procedures, and systems at the University of Michigan
- Proficiency with reporting tools (e.g., Business Objects)
- Broad knowledge of MPathways/PeopleSoft (or similar Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system)
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of $5.8 billion, is a leader in higher education. U-M SSC provides administrative support related to financial and human resources in the following areas: Accounts Payable, Travel and Expense, General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Benefits, HR Data Management, Time and Leave, and Employment Process. To learn more about U-M SSC, please visit our website: www.SSC.UMICH.edu.
We offer our employees an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, a two-for-one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.