Oversee the planning, scheduling, and organization of skilled trades/labor on internally performed construction projects. Work closely with supervisors, lead persons, and skilled trades/labor to assure the timely, efficient, and cost effective completion of work on construction and renovation projects.
- Assign skilled trades/labor, including contract labor, to supervisors in consideration of manpower loading, project schedules, knowledge of customer’s operation and changes in project labor needs to to ensure work schedules and work execution strategy meet customer requirements
- Periodically monitor efficiency and effectiveness of trades assignments to projects
- Provide management with overview of efficiency and effectiveness of internal skilled trades/labor, contract labor and subcontractors
- Provide support to supervisors in coordinating the activities of contract labor and subcontractors
- Work with construction engineering managers, supervisors, internal trades/labor, contract labor and subcontractors to resolve and mediate problems, concerns, and complaints
- Prepare special or periodic construction reports
- Periodically attend construction project meetings with architects, engineers, supervisors, and users of the facilities under construction
- Review plans, specifications and estimates as necessary to assist supervisors and trades in the execution of work
- Participate in the selection and evaluation of supervisory and skilled trade personnel
- Participate in the process of selecting peer and subordinate positions
- Participate in the resolution of employee complaints and grievances
- Initiate disciplinary process, including recommendation for discharge
- Review, endorse or modify disciplinary actions initiated by supporting supervision
- Bachelor degree in Architecture, Construction Management, Engineering, or commensurate experience in areas of Responsibilities listed above.
- Ten years minimum of construction supervision and project management experience
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in all phases of building construction and renovation
- Five years of experience in mentoring, training, and evaluating trade labor and project engineers
- Significant experience in work scheduling, assignment of trades labor, sequence of construction, and building means and methods.
- Proficient in building codes, life safety codes, and Americans with Disabilities Act requirements as they pertain to commercial and institutional building projects.
- Knowledge of Michigan Bureau of Fire Services procedures and requirements
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Effective at prioritizing based on project needs
- Capable simultaneously taking management direction, providing leadership, and making innovative contributions in a professional, collaborative team atmosphere
- Capable of clear and concise communications with management, supervisors, trade employees, facilities managers, and customers, in a fast-paced customer service environment
- Capable of motivating others
- Capable of effective problem resolution while maintaining a respectful and professional demeanor
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience with the tools of LEAN process management principles
- Experience directly managing superintendents and trades
- Understanding of union labor processes
- Ten years of experience with commercial/institutional construction renovation projects
- Five years of experience in higher education or hospital work
- Experience leading professional development training
- Formal training in continuous improvement processes/procedures
*****This is a three-year term position with potential for renewal*****
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.