How to Apply
- Provide care in medical oncology to adult solid tumor oncology patients in the outpatient setting. NOTE: clinical sites are in Ann Arbor and Northville, MI.
- Care for patients with a variety of cancers, including thoracic and gastrointestinal malignancies, with the option of specializing at a later date based on the needs of the department.
- Initiation and evaluation of new patient consultations and follow-up visits in collaboration with the supervising physician
- Medical management of patients receiving active therapy including chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and supportive therapy management.
- Patient and family education, counseling and support.
- Collaborate with and refer to other health care providers, and provision of education to nursing staff, students, and the community.
- Write chemotherapy orders and review them with supporting medical oncologist, who will have the responsibility of final signage of orders.
- Participate in the care of patients enrolling on clinical trials.
- Perform and document via electronic health record medical histories, physical exams, and telephone conversations.
- Review laboratory and radiographic tests results and interface with medical staff and patients regarding results and plan of care.
- Attend conferences and continuing education/staff development programs to maintain knowledge of current literature.
- Prescribe according to standard of care patient management and investigational clinical trial protocols.
- Perform invasive and noninvasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as indicated for patient care and clinical research.
- Support the clinical practice of collaborating physician but also see patients independently.
- Contribute to the development, modification and interpretation of oncology guidelines, policies, and procedures, including quality assurance activities.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Patient Care Services job family under number #139766 for PAs to apply.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined. If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as measured by references and interviews.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- The ability to function independently with minimal supervision.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and NP specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current certification as an Adult/Gerontology Acute or Primary Care Nurse Practitioner. Family Nurse Practitioner will be considered with experience in the area.
- Advanced Practice NP certification recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a physician assistant program accredited by ARC-PA or one of its predecessor agencies.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- 1-2 years of NP/PA clinical experience in medical oncology
- Experience in caring for patients on oncology clinical trials
- Experience and efficiency in the use of a variety of computer applications.
- Experience in developing and providing staff and patient oncology education programs.
- Experience in caring for patients receiving immunotherapy regimens.
- Experience in caring for patients with a variety of acute and chronic medical conditions.
- Commitment to clinical and translational research.
- The ability to function independently..
- Demonstrated leadership in work setting and other professional activities.
- Recent experience at Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan.
Shift: Day Shift
Hours: 40 hrs a week
Location: Comprehensive Cancer Center: Team Blue NOTE: clinical sites are in Ann Arbor and Northville, MI.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nurse opportunities please contact UMHS Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail nurserecruit_UMHS@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.umnursing.org
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.