How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are searching for a Web Server Administrator to support and maintain Apache Tomcat, Apache Web Server, IIS/.NET, and Red Hat JBoss EAP applications. We support 24 x 7 clinical, research, and other types of application environments across Michigan Medicine. This is an intermediate position.
The selected candidate will be a member of the Michigan Medicine HITS Platform Services team and will be expected to support, develop, and maintain application hosting environments. The selected candidate will do script development in PowerShell on Windows Servers and/or standard shell programming in an AIX/Linux environment with tools such as Python, etc. Other system support tasks include: documentation, monitoring, fine-tuning system performance, and participation in an on-call support rotation for all applications and related infrastructure.
The web server administration role is responsible for maintaining high availability of the web application platforms. This duty includes installation, configuration, and maintenance of all components and services within the platform. The selected candidate will support existing web application environments hosting 300+ clinical, research, and business applications across Michigan Medicine.
A bachelor’s degree or better in computer science, information systems or a related field or equivalent experience, including business information systems course work and 3 – 5 years systems/software programming activities in a business environment. Requires a combination of strong technical background/knowledge and excellent people skills and verbal/written communication skills.
- Windows Server administration or AIX/Linux administration.
- Experience with one of the following application servers: IIS 6.x/7.x, Tomcat servlet container, WebSphere Application Server, JBoss Application Server, Apache web server.
- Scripting and automation experience on either a Windows or Unix platform.
- 2 or more years of Unix administration and configuration experience.
- 2 or more years of experience of Windows server administration, including configuring
user rights, and file sharing.
- 2 or more years’ experience with web server software, including Apache and IIS.
- 2 or more years of experience with Red Hat JBoss EAP or JBOSS Application
- Java or .NET programming experience is a nice to have skill
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities and communication skills.
- Ability to work on a team, willingness to learn new technologies and assume greater responsibilities.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.