How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position
- Include your current or ending salary
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The Information and Technology Services (ITS) organization has an exciting opportunity to employ a Depot Inventory Specialist to facilitate the MiWorkspace inventory, disposal, ordering and asset management activities for the University of Michigan.
This position will report to the Depot IT Operations Supervisor in the ITS Support Services. The Depot is responsible for warehouse/logistics for MiWorkspace and Campus Computing Sites printing, equipment staging for MiWorkspace, hardware supply chain management for Campus Computing Sites and MiWorkspace, computer repair services and hardware implementation for MiWorkspace.
This role requires someone who can work under minimal supervision, proactively anticipate and resolve problems, experience in a role requiring to provide excellent customer service, the ability to follow documented procedures and standards in a consistent manner and has the passion to meet or exceed customer expectations.
For more information about MiWorkspace, please visit this website: http://miworkspace.it.umich.edu
As the Depot Inventory Specialist for the ITS Depot organization within the University of Michigan, this position’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Facilitate logistics by moving computers, printers and related supplies between various designated locations around campus, operating University of Michigan-owned service vehicles in a safe and efficient manner, working service tickets and updating records within an inventory management system to reflect equipment moves and changes, coordinating and updating equipment for migration activities. Decommissioning computers and printers by following established procedures and delivering the decommissioned hardware to property disposition.
- Coordinate and serve as a liaison between Property Disposition and the MiWorkspace Depot, maintaining a set schedule and good working relations, notifying the Depot of any on-site changes in Property Disposition policy. Serve as the primary point of contact for all IT items within MiWorkspace units requiring property disposition, sorting of all electronic devices, identifying and separating electronic waste, setting and performing consistent testing methods for all electronic devices and wiping all machines/hard drives according to IIA standards.
- Responsible for ordering and asset management for MiWorkspace units. This will include working with the warehouse, ITS Purchasing, vendor representatives and the ITS transition and help desks. Coordinating with team members and other service support groups to effectively resolve incidents and requests. Supporting and collaborating with team members and other technical staff.
- Responsible for preparing, uploading and verification of appropriate MiWorkspace discovery information on a daily basis and new asset/inventory information from Depot Daily Records. Providing units with accurate and timely hardware reports.
- Contributing to process and service enhancements by identifying when established procedures are not working and there are gaps in processes and making recommendations for improvements. Developing and editing customer and support documentation.
- Utilizing analytical and communication skills in the development and modification of written procedures, processes and technical support documentation, resulting in content tailored to the level and type of audience for support and issue resolution. Assisting in documenting, validating and revising operational procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or an equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year of IT troubleshooting experience with computer hardware to identify failures and functional components and knowledge of asset tracking.
- Experience with the following: installing, configuring, maintaining and supporting Windows and/or Mac desktop operating systems and applications in a complex, distributed environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency with current computer technology and applications (e.g. productivity apps, Google apps, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to manage a large volume of inventory, including tracking and accounting for product.
Required Organizational Competencies:
Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate in this role the following organization competencies, but not limited to:
BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS / INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of workgroups, interacting in a friendly, open, honest and accepting manner. Maintains agreed-upon levels of confidentiality.
CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING: Demonstrated ability to prevent and solve simple problems, seeking help from colleagues and management when required and the ability to recognize if a problem needs to be addressed.
COMMUNICATION: Demonstrated ability to communicate correctly and knowledgeably with individuals, both verbally and in writing, to differing audiences. Be able to speak concisely, use technical terms knowledgeably and use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation in writing.
FLEXIBILITY / ADAPTABILITY to CHANGE: Understanding and accepting the need for change, cooperating in implementation and constructively voicing concerns and proposing alternatives. Ability to assist in the implementation of changes within established and changing deadlines.
- Proficiency with the following: networking connectivity and communication protocols and equipment; troubleshooting skills in diagnosing and resolving computer and networking problems.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge using Asset Management Systems. ServiceNow or other IT Service Management suite.
- May require a flexible work schedule and working during non-business hours based on business needs.
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required.
- Will require travel to various locations on and off university campus.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with less than 7 points.
- Periodic lifting and moving of equipment weighing up to 60 pounds by self or equipment weighing up to 120 pounds with assistance from others.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Statement
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.