The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) is one of the three campuses of the University of Michigan. UM-Dearborn, a comprehensive university offering high quality undergraduate, graduate, professional and continuing education to residents of southeastern Michigan, and attracts more than 9,000 students. Our faculty comes from respected universities and doctoral programs, are recognized for excellence in research and teaching, and are active in professional and academic service roles in their respective fields. US News and World Report recently recognized our campus as a Best Regional University.
**Please note: This position is currently for the Summer I term only (May - June)**
- Provide high quality English language instruction for non-native language students seeking admission to higher education degree programs.
- Create course syllabi and lesson plans following the ELP established curriculum guidelines. Integrate a variety of sound instructional methods and technology into daily classes.
- Create and implement student-centered, task-based activities.
- Produce relevant and reliable assessment tools and conduct routine assessment to evaluate student progress throughout the semester.
- Assist with final assessment for each course.
- Grade course work and enter grades.
- Meet with students as needed.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Provide constructive written feedback on students' progress at mid-term and end of the semester conferences.
- Maintain student progress and attendance records.
- Stay up-to-date on research, pedagogy, and best practices
- Uphold the ELPP/University mission and policies.
- Master's degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or related field
- Exceptional fluency and accuracy in spoken and written English
- Strong knowledge of course content to be taught paired with excellent instructional abilities
- Top-level interpersonal and student service skills
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills and experience working in a diverse environment
- Ability to work independently and contribute/collaborate effectively as a member of a team
- Ability to handle communications, information, and data with sensitivity and confidentiality
- Ability to follow University policies, rules and administrative procedures relating to student services
- Ability to multitask, adhere to deadlines, and adapt to changing demands and priorities
- Ability to act consistently with professionalism and respect
- Experience with working in a higher education environment
- Several years of experience working in a higher education environment
- Positive teaching evaluations and demonstrated excellence in the classroom
- Proficiency in a second language as well as experience living and/or teaching English abroad
- Member of professional associations such as TESOL or MITESOL
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications, such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.